Makeing a chuck key

I made one out of an old allen wrench and it is holding up very well. I also like using grade 8 bolts for things such as these when strength is required.

Ted

Before tempering (drawing) verify that there is NO OIL RESIDUE on the part. The oil will turn color long before the steel does. [The voice of Experience]
After quench, the squared end should be brightened up with abrasive cloth so that the temper colors can be seen.

I made one from rigid conduit and welded it to the shank. A quick job as I wanted one with a large diameter handle to fit my hands well. Consider using a large diameter tubing of some sort, you won't be disappointed.

I made this one out of 308 SS. The whole time I was turning it, I kept asking my self why the heck I used such a hard material. It doesn't need to be very tough, and if it's harder than your chuck it will leave dings on contact. At least it doesn't rust.
be2e00881c54ab0628df494b5e79421f.jpg

Stainless lathe chuck key?! Darn, now I need to replace all mine...
Robert

So the next part that I'm not sure about is how the tee-handle is secured to the main shaft. I (stupidly) just realized that on all of my other chuck keys it is rigidly fixed. I'd been imagining a loose fit and a clip or something.

I'm assuming that it's just an interference fit?

I can look up the tolerances and use a hammer, my arbor press or other force multiplier to make it work.

Is there a simple trick I'm missing?

BTW - that SS key is awesome!

I just drilled and tapped the top of that one for a 1/4-20 set screw (and broke a tap, of course), but you could certainly do a press fit. It is common to see a knurled press fit on commercial keys. The hammer approach would work well for that. Or you can get creative. At the end of the day, it's just a handle to turn a pinion gear. Like corkscrews and bottle openers.

The hammer approach would work well for that. Or you can get creative. At the end of the day, it's just a handle to turn a pinion gear. Like corkscrews and bottle openers.
Ha! what I love is that craftsmanship comes from thinking as much as doing. I could just drill a hole and use an old screwdriver.....
As far as the creative part, I usually err in the "too" side.

Back