Makerspace machining classes, with no machines?

MidniteMachinist

Registered
Registered
I'm part of a group that's starting a makerspace in my city. We don't have our own space yet, but we're building a community while we search for one... And in the meantime, we've got access to an artist space with a classroom.

I want to teach some kind of metalworking-related class, and have been trying to come up with ideas that don't require making chips. I've thought about maybe having a class on reading calipers/micrometers, or something related to surface plates...

I dunno. I suppose I'm having trouble figuring out how to make such a thing... Interesting? I'm super fascinated with metrology, and I've got a fair bit of (admittedly amateur) experience... I'm struggling to figure out a way to share knowledge in an approachable, practical, group-oriented way, that's worth making a whole hour-or-so long class about.

Any suggestions would be welcome! It doesn't have to be measuring-related... That's just what springs into my mind.

(also, apologies if this isn't the right place for this. I figured since I'm looking for a way to interact with beginners, this would be the place)

Start out with hand work. That is where most apprentices start. A lot can be done with simple hand tools. Lay out work. How to use a hacksaw and a file. We focus so much on machine tools we forget that a lot can be accomplished with simple hand tools.

You can teach a great deal in the classroom without machinery. When I was teaching gunsmithing I talked about measuring, direct vs indirect crossfeed, tool height, HSS grinding and clothing near lathes before the machines were used and that was in a big classroom full of machinery. Look at MrPete222 and Blondihacks for ideas. MrPete was a high school shop teacher. You might even show excerpts from YouTube videos to illustrate points. Topics could include:

Metrology is an excellent start. Start with a ruler and end up with a tenths micrometer and DTI. Show how to use a magnetic base.
How to read plans and blueprints
Hot chips reminder
Metals and their machining properties
Shop math
Shop Safety, PPE and what to not wear around machines
Cleaning machinery after use
Grinding HSS tools (large wooden models with each ground surface painted a different color are great aids)
Feeds and speeds
Lubricants
Drilling and tapping
Single point threading
Cleaning files
Sharpie vs Dykem
Chatter
The parts of the machines you expect to have eventually
Spot and center drilling
Using a 4 jaw chuck/dial indicator/DTI

With all the great youtube videos available it seems like it would be hard to generate much enthusiasm for classroom work without making chips. If I were going to take a class "hands on" is what I would be interested in. The instructional youtube videos I enjoy most and get the most out of are the ones where the presenters show the mistakes they make. I don't know how you could present a similar learning experience without machines.

Sorry if I am quenching your enthusiasm, these are just my expectations.

Last edited:
i applaud your enthusiasm. Just getting up in front of others and presenting would be daunting for me. I wonder if having each person in the class introduce themselves and give a little background and their goals wouldn’t help? It might get others with expertise to share and keep them engaged. If nothing else it points you where you need to start. I do like the idea of starting with a ruler. It is shocking how many people can’t read a ruler accurately.

Simple projects with hand tools is the way we started out in Jr. High
Dykem, scribe, file, hacksaw. Tin snips. Vise. Drill and tap (maybe use hand drill motor, no drill press)
Ruler and calipers, combo square- fractions, decimals and metric system
A few classes on mechanical drawing and reading prints

Last edited:
Without any machines at all not sure really what would draw people in . We have wood shops , pottery places , stained glass places etc but all have the neccesary machines and tools for the members to use . They use them under supervision of course . Anything machining related ( even a drill press ) in the wrong hands creates a liability issue . Hand tools , files , hacksaws , layout tools would be the way to start . We had some maker spaces up in Balto that all went bust .

One of our members on here was starting one up somewhere up north , maybe Michigan ? I can't remember what his username is but maybe he'll chime in . I think you have a great idea going now that the schools have gotten away from this trade .

i applaud your enthusiasm. Just getting up in front of others and presenting would be daunting for me. I wonder if having each person in the class introduce themselves and give a little background and their goals wouldn’t help? It might get others with expertise to share and keep them engaged. If nothing else it points you where you need to start. I do like the idea of starting with a ruler. It is shocking how many people can’t read a ruler accurately.
Everyone sharing backgrounds is a great idea. In the gunsmithing classes we had a couple of professional machinists that wanted to learn rifle work, a working gunsmith that needed to learn to use a lathe, mostly new students and one guy that couldn’t figure out that the reason the carriage kept hitting the chuck was him.

There is much to be said for in person instruction. People learn in different ways. Some can be told once and then go do it. Others can read about it or watch one video and get it. Some have to have every minute step that’s obvious to most of us extrapolated and subdivided into many more steps. There are more of those than you might think.

The classroom idea seems like a good way to get the group started while hunting for a space and bringing in machines.

One other topic that could be taught in a classroom is soldering. Lots of people can’t and it’s a good foundation for brazing and gas welding.

Everyone sharing backgrounds is a great idea. In the gunsmithing classes we had a couple of professional machinists that wanted to learn rifle work, a working gunsmith that needed to learn to use a lathe, mostly new students and one guy that couldn’t figure out that the reason the carriage kept hitting the chuck was him.

There is much to be said for in person instruction. People learn in different ways. Some can be told once and then go do it. Others can read about it or watch one video and get it. Some have to have every minute step that’s obvious to most of us extrapolated and subdivided into many more steps. There are more of those than you might think.

The classroom idea seems like a good way to get the group started while hunting for a space and bringing in machines.

One other topic that could be taught in a classroom is soldering. Lots of people can’t and it’s a good foundation for brazing and gas welding.
All excellent points. I’ve always loved the idea of a makerspace since I used to be in nightschool woodshop class at our old high school. It was totally affordable with great machines and a great group of folks. It had been going on for so many years there was this core of guys that were like assistant teachers and if they were not working on something they would see what everybody else was working on and help if needed. Lots of mentoring. It was a rare and fantastic setup I never saw replicated any place else I lived.

I had a major in machining in High School. It was almost 2 months before we touched a machine in the class before turning it into a major.
I think the part that was most informative was doing manual layout with the blue fluid (the name escapes me but I have some in the shop).
We also spent a few classes just grinding different cutting tips for the lathe using 1/4" mild steel.

I looked into a maker space thing being set up near me but it was all about wood (nothing wrong with that).

Back