Makerspace machining classes, with no machines?

Much more teach a man to fish. So often How to buy a lathe tutorials are little more than pick this machine its great.

In fairness what many are asking for is which machine to buy, rather than educate me so I can make a better choice.
I obviously also suffer from analysis paralysis driven mostly of fear of getting screwed. Buyin new was never an option and a major part of my info gathering was seeing what was available on CL then using the net to research those machines. Right away if I was just using specs once understood, I saw hobby class old iron was unreasonably overpriced IMHO. I could have gotten away with the 7x class of lathe and mini mill but decided to go the next size up. Along came a fully decked out 9x20 for $650 (unused as far as I could tell)and a well used RF30 for $425 shortly thereafter. Both ran fine but had problems I had to fix as I got to know them. Mostly incurred by the previous owners.

But I have a natural tendency to see whatever I get into as a far ranging multifaceted process. There is the metrology, making and grinding tools and cutters, troubleshooting, repair and maintenance added on to the use. Notice paint and restoration is left out of that list as outside of properly lubricated and adjusted I don’t enjoy that kind of stuff.

I'm one of those read the directions before starting but without the hands on portion it will all be gone in a day or two. I'm sure there is at least a days worth of introductory material needing covered before the hands on starts.Without the hands on I imagine it would be hard to keep them interested after a day or two at most after that I think you'd be beating a dead horse. Said by a guy who's been through a fair bit of industry training and the really technical stuff they didn't go more than 3 days without hands on and we were paid to be there.

Back