Making a bevel pinion gear

mr nicky

what do you think of this engine?

IH Slant 4- 152 & 196 cu in

'It is also worth noting that International Harvester was not really geared up for the production of a four-cylinder engine, as was seen in the 152 and 196 engines. Consequently, they simply cut off four of the cylinders and sold these two engines as half of the V-304 and half of the V-392. This is why these engines are in an inline, yet slanted formation, half of a V-8. They became small engines with a great deal of torque, excellent cooling because the block contained water channels originally designed for the larger engines, all while getting quite acceptable fuel economy. The Scouts with the 196 engines easily achieved 20 miles per gallon.'

there's one i know of for sale with transmission in 60's scout.

Have A Nice Day!

Last edited:
Racecar builder
I never got involved with the IH trucks and scouts. Interesting. I will have to look at them next time I see one.
Nick

nicky
one of these engines might be your next project!
here's pic's of guy rebuilding one as part of Scout fixup.

http://www.justih.org/Binder-Bench/showthread.php?t=14610

i was real impressed just looking under hood at IH slant 4
in Scout sitting for sale in my area.

from the outside i was impressed with castings.

i will do my best to make deal on Scout.
i get whole Scout but i just want engine & tranny though.

Have A Nice Day!

Very interesting. If Chrysler could do it with the slant six why not IH. The slant six was probably the best inline six ever built. I think I will stick to my Studebakers, That is enough on my plate.
Nick

nicky
no no no.:)
you'll want one of these after stude.

my point of view is the crafstmanship of these IH engines
is right up your alley.

i know where there's 392 core engine in nice california condition right now.
that's a 196 with the other half still there!:)
he'd sell it for less than the truck shipping over to where you are.
see it's fun already!:)

Have A Nice Day!

Last edited:
Here is an update on this project. The colour is close but will likely repaint in a month or so to make it a bit darker. This is at least a good idea what it will look like when completed.
Nick

P1030448.JPG

P1030448.JPG

The past week or two we have been actively working on the Bluebell separator again. It is now painted the right colour so we set out to make the decals for it. We were lucky that through another collector who had a friend in the IH archives we were able to obtain a photograph of the decal sheet for this machine as well as the dairymaid which I want to redo correctly.
Although the images were small we now had something real to work from. Here is the photo of the original sheet along with my decals ready to be printed.

Bluebell Decals.jpg decal4.jpg decal5.jpg

Sometimes the artwork is the coolest part of a restoration, and usually the hardest to do. Great thing that you had access to the original art. I see this on old radios from time to time.

Hi Nick,

Sorry I missed this post. I am glad you gave an update. Very nice work. Great for future generations to see and hopefully appreciate. I've tried to restore an "A.H. Patch" grist mill but can't find the decal of the Indian chief. Decals are great finishing touches!

Thanks for the post.

David

good to see Nicky,
Make sure you put up at least some pics of the finished project.

Cheers Phil

Back