Making a Lie-Nielsen plane

francist

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Just stumbled across this tonight and figured it would appeal to at least some folks. Lie-Nielsen put out this video a few days ago on making their low-angle block plane — still a surprising amount of handwork involved, I thought. I don’t own any of their products (that I know of anyway) but I believe they’re well regarded. Anyway, enjoy…

-frank

Thanks for posting. I own many of their planes and know Thomas Lie-Nielsen (the owner) personally. Very dedicated individual and exceptional products. The foundry at his shop is a sight to behold. If you're ever in Maine, it's worth a special trip to visit.

IMG_1825.jpeg IMG_1826.jpeg

His butt-mortise hinge plane is worth it's weight in gold IMO - especially at $195. It makes fitting hinges really satisfying.

IMG_0788.jpeg IMG_0779.jpeg

It was great to see the process from start to finish with the wood planing demo at the end, each plane
built one by one. It looks like a quality and efficient operation noting the sprue cutter in the man's back
pocket as well as all the tools needed needed to do the work.:encourage: Thanks Frank!

His butt-mortise hinge plane is worth it's weight in gold IMO - especially at $195. It makes fitting hinges really satisfying.
I am a big fan of Lie-Nielsen planes and have a few, but I never noticed the butt-mortise plane before, I think I need to add that to my short list. Thanks for mentioning it.

Great video! I bought that low-angle jack plane for my father, who is an excellent woodworker (and I knew he'd been eyeing it for a while). L-N does or used to do a nice little show in Portland, with a complete display of their wares. Well worth turning up to. That's what turned me on to Shapton stones many years ago.

GsT

I am not sure how the mortise plane works a mortise. I use a router plane for my hinge mortises.

I am not sure how the mortise plane works a mortise. I use a router plane for my hinge mortises.
There is a video on the product page that shows how to use it. I also use my router plane for hinge mortises, but I think this might work better. I would like to try it out first, so I may need to take a trip up to Maine and visit LN.

I'll stick with the router plane. It does the job
Some advantages are covered in the following video. A conventional router plane has its place, but the butt mortise plane is superior for hinge and strike-plate needs.

I bought this same shoulder plane when I was building my cabinets in the house. They are very nice tools.
Joe

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231216-081510_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231216-081510_Chrome.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 6
Back