Making a ratchet mod to my arbor press

jmarkwolf

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I was gifted a nice Famco #2 arbor press. The few times I've used it was problematic because the handle was never in the correct clock position to assert the most leverage on the task at hand. Further, there have been times that I could've used the ability to broach some keyways, but I went without because I knew this tool wasn't up to the task without some pharting around.

I've decided to modify the press to add the ability to afix a large ratchet wrench (3/4in drive) in a fashion that will require no mods to the arbor press. I prefer leaving tools in their "pristene" state, if possible, while making improvements, if for no other reason that if the mods don't turn out as expected, the mod can be removed with no "incriminating evidence".

While researching the task on-line I've seen many clever mods, that accomplish the task that I want to achieve, but many require mods to the arbor press, which I'm trying to avoid. I found a Youtube video from a guy in Canberra, Australia that made just the clever mod to his own arbor press I was hoping to find. Pics below.

He fabricated a "sleeve" that fits over the right end of the pinion shaft, with a shear bolt that makes use of the original handle hole. He also fitted a modified 3/4in drive socket in the far end of the sleeve apparently using Loctite to accommodate a ratchet wrench. I'm not too keen on the Loctite idea, but the whole shooting match slides off and the press goes back to stock standard.

I'm considering copying his approach but with the following changes:

1. Weld a shortened 3/4in drive socket into the end of the sleeve for direct connection to the ratchet. Don't have a welder so I will likley have to pay for the privilege.

2. Mill a square hole in the end of the solid end of the sleeve for direct connection to the ratchet. I have a milling machine and boring head.

3. Mill hex flats on the solid end of the sleeve to accommodate a standard wrench socket. I have a rotary table but am thinking this might be a good job for one of those Rose Index gadgets.

Which would you do?

Attachments

• Famco arbor press1.jpg
    Famco arbor press1.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 238
  • Arbor_press_mod4.jpg
    Arbor_press_mod4.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 223
  • Arbor_press_mod3.jpg
    Arbor_press_mod3.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 227
  • Arbor_press_mod2.jpg
    Arbor_press_mod2.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 231
  • Arbor_press_mod1.jpg
    Arbor_press_mod1.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
I was gifted a nice Famco #2 arbor press. The few times I've used it was problematic because the handle was never in the correct clock position to assert the most leverage on the task at hand. Further, there have been times that I could've used the ability to broach some keyways, but I went without because I knew this tool wasn't up to the task without some pharting around.

I've decided to modify the press to add the ability to afix a large ratchet wrench (3/4in drive) in a fashion that will require no mods to the arbor press. I prefer leaving tools in their "pristene" state, if possible, while making improvements, if for no other reason that if the mods don't turn out as expected, the mod can be removed with no "incriminating evidence".

While researching the task on-line I've seen many clever mods, that accomplish the task that I want to achieve, but many require mods to the arbor press, which I'm trying to avoid. I found a Youtube video from a guy in Canberra, Australia that made just the clever mod to his own arbor press I was hoping to find. Pics below.

He fabricated a "sleeve" that fits over the right end of the pinion shaft, with a shear bolt that makes use of the original handle hole. He also fitted a modified 3/4in drive socket in the far end of the sleeve apparently using Loctite to accommodate a ratchet wrench. I'm not too keen on the Loctite idea, but the whole shooting match slides off and the press goes back to stock standard.

I'm considering is copying his approach but with the following changes:

1. Weld a shortened 3/4in drive socket into the end of the sleeve for direct connection to the ratchet. Don't have a welder so I will likley have to pay for the privilege.

2. Mill a square hole in the end of the solid end of the sleeve for direct connection to the ratchet. I have a milling machine and boring head.

3. Mill a hex end on the solid end of the sleeve to accomodate a standard wrench socket. I have a rotary table but am thinking this might be a good job for one of those Rose Index gadgets.

Which would you do?
I have a #3 and agree, a ratchet would be really handy.

I did the same upgrade to my press. I broached a 3/4 square hole. I have a 2 part video on the upgrade.

Nice videos Jeeper. I had not encountered your channel before. I'll definitely be going back and watching the others. I think it's the slickest mod you can make to an arbor press.

It was good to watch the machining steps that Cam had glossed over.

That was a rude surprise that the original handle hole was not centered in the pinion. I'll be checking mine for sure!

I'll be keeping my eye out for a ships wheel also.

Last edited:
I just modified my 3-ton to allow repositioning the handle. I can't claim credit for the idea, it came from member C_M_H over on Home Shop Machinist. It was so simple I couldn't believe it. It allows sliding the pinion out far enough for it to disengage from the rack so it can be adjusted as needed then slid back in. The only modification to the press was tapping the end of the pinion shaft for the retaining bolt. It took less than 2 hours to complete.

20220311_121250[1].jpg

20220311_121230[1].jpg

@MrWhoopee mod is brilliant! I ran straight down to the shop this afternoon and did exactly the same to my little 1-ton. And dang near spot on the same time too, all back together in just a skinny under two hours. Yes there is a slight modification to the original tool (the threaded hole in the end of the shaft) but other than that it’s entirely reversible. Plus the leverage point for handle stays the same, something I really like. Very slick, and highly recommended.

-frank

1647299619339.jpeg
1647299653019.jpeg
1647299689400.jpeg

Agree, I just ran out and did the same thing. This was such an annoying factor…life is going to be great again!

Thank you guys!

D3D389AA-A1CA-4819-9C9B-1AFDE38D61F0.jpeg

I just modified my 3-ton to allow repositioning the handle. I can't claim credit for the idea, it came from member C_M_H over on Home Shop Machinist. It was so simple I couldn't believe it. It allows sliding the pinion out far enough for it to disengage from the rack so it can be adjusted as needed then slid back in. The only modification to the press was tapping the end of the pinion shaft for the retaining bolt. It took less than 2 hours to complete.

View attachment 400416

View attachment 400415

This is what I do with my press... I didn't make a retainer for the shaft, I just removed the collar that holds the shaft in place and left it off.

-Bear

snip>
Which would you do?

I would make a sleeve with one end slip fit over the existing pinion (existing handle removed, shear pin added) and the other end with square hole from a 3/4" drive socket welded into the sleeve.

No need to broach and you get a hardened square interface for the ratchet.

Back