Making a series of 1-3/8” holes....

That is my 2015 Corvette Z06. My wife and I towed my Z06 from Ohio out to Las Vegas area for running in the Silver State Classic closed road race. Objective is to hit what ever Speed class you are in, that average speed over 90 miles of closed highway. This was the second time we have run that race. We were in the 105mph class and this year we won our class! Our target time was 51 minutes - 25.71 seconds. We were off that target by 0.0373 seconds. My wife had a stop watch and we speed corrected every mile for 90 miles. The previous race we ran we were off by 0.954 seconds and that was good for 5th in our class. Speed classes range from 95 to 180mph and an unlimited class. The record speed averaged 216 mph over the 90 miles and a top speed of 242mph. Cars that run that are repurposed NASCAR race cars.

Full safety gear is required with the regulations getting tighter the faster you go. Even in our class helmets (motorcycle helmets don’t meet the safety requirements), race gloves and shoes are minimum. On the back of your helmet you had to have your name and blood type! They inspect all 4 tires up close before you go out to run.

I also have a ‘60 Corvette restrooms I built and currently in process building a ‘63 Corvette Splut Window restomod. My wife has a ‘37 Ford with 396 supercharged motor along with an 8 point rollbar. We also have a 1930 Ford Model A streetrod.

So between cars, photography ( www.herbturner.smugmug.com ) and now machining that about does it.

Regards, Herb
In addition to the '54, I built a '65 truck (loaded), '55 210 2-dr post (loaded) and a '40 Ford Opera Coupe (loaded). Mine don't go as fast as yours, though.

Regards,
Terry

First Gear, I did what you are planning to do recently but with 1/8” stainless. I used a heavy duty, carbide tipped hole cutter in my mill. Cut a board to place underneath instead of parallels to give more support. Tidied up the holes and rounded edges with a file, put matte finish on by wet sanding wth 200 grit sandpaper on random orbital sander. Wish I had know about an angular cutter; looks like an easier way to go; things got pretty hot with the hole cutter:

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Wish I had know about an angular cutter; looks like an easier way to go; things got pretty hot with the hole cutter:
Still turned out pretty nice!

Regards,
Terry

Trepanning tool? Great for low pressure cutting on thin plate. You'll have to dial in the size, but once it gets going it should hold tolerance.

Back