Making a square mortise chisel attachment for the PM935 mill

davidpbest

H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
I am primarily a woodworker, and needed a way to make square mortise holes in hardwood for a new project coming up. I decided to turn my PM935 mill into a square mortise machine for this project. This is the story of how I designed and made the adapter that would mount the square chisel on the mill.

This is what the chisel looks like - it's basically a precision ground square chisel that's hollow and an auger bit inside that does most of the work:

IMG_2806.jpg

What I needed was a way to securely hold the square chisel on the nose of the mill. Similar adapters are made for conventional drill press equipment, but none of those would fit or work on a milling machine. I came up with this design:

Square Chisel Drawing.jpg

It's a two piece adapter - one piece clamps onto the nose of the quill, the other is a donut-shaped adapter bored to hold the 19mm OD of the square chisel. The auger component of the chisel would be secured into the spindle with a conventional R8 collet.

I started with two drops of 4041 steel I found on eBay for about $40 delivered:

Raw material.jpg

I then set about machining the two components on the PM1340GT lathe and the PM935 mill. Here are couple shots of how that progressed. Here's the main housing that will attach to the nose of the quill after rough sizing and boring:

screenshot_2760.jpg

Here's the donut-ring after rough sizing and boring:

screenshot_2762.jpg

And a test fit of all the components:

screenshot_2761.jpg

Back to the mill with the rotary table, I machined away large sections of the main housing to essentially produce three fingers to hold the donut-ring:

screenshot_2763.jpg

Then I refined the donut-ring to reduce weight:

screenshot_2764.jpg

And after drilling and tapping for the mounting screws, this is what I ended up with:

IMG_3287.jpg

And here it is on the PM935 under test.

IMG_3291.jpg

This was a fun project and the thing works great.

If anyone is interested in the complete build log with lots of video and photos, here's the link: Square Chisel Attachment

Thanks for viewing. Comments/questions welcomed.

`

Attachments

• 1565514325037.png
    1565514325037.png
    301 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
How are you holding the drill? I don't see room enough for a chucl.

The drill is held in an R8 collet.

Very nice job, I just hung mine on my drill press. But then perhaps you don't have one.

Very nice job, I just hung mine on my drill press. But then perhaps you don't have one.
You are correct. My mill serves as my drill press. It's a better quality machine than any DP I've seen, and the floor space saved is invaluable. Plus the mill DRO and XY table movement is often handy for woodworking DP applications as well. I've adapted a woodworkers DP table that drops into the Kurt vise and rests on the XY table. The holes for dowel pins on each side of the table register the fence coplanar to the X-axis.

IMG_2670.jpg

IMG_2677.jpg

This has served me much better than a clunky conventional drill press.

Thank you David for an outstanding documented video of your Mortise Drill attachment for a mill. This is definitely an improvement to my stand alone Powermatic Mortiser and a space saver as well. Thanks for the idea.

Very nice piece of work there David. Cheers, Mike

Back