[How-To] Making a sturdy indicator stand

Norppu

Registered
Registered
Thanks for Stefan Gotteswinter and Robin Renzetti of their design of an indicator stand.
Stefan Gotteswinter has made an inspiring video on making one.
I got so inspired that I ended up making eleven of them.

FbShot.jpg

Forumshot.jpg

This is going to be a series of 7 videos demonstrating the make of a sturdy indicator stand.
The video is suitable for the hearing impaired and persons who have difficulties in understanding my spoken English.
The video has hand written subtitles in English, German and Finnish languages.

Wow, fantastic work!
Thank you for sharing :D

I really love your videos! thanks for making them!

Very good videos! Question: what is a “differential screw”? And why is it a better design for clamping? I didn’t really understand the reasons how and why. Maybe I just have to wait for the next video!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very good videos! Question: what is a “differential screw”? And why is it a better design for clamping? I didn’t really understand the reasons how and why. Maybe I just have to wait for the next video!?

Differential screw is a construction where same screw or same rotating element has two different thread pitces. For example the screw in that holder has a screw with M10 and M8 threads. The M10 thread has a pitch of 1.5 mm/rev and the M8 has a pitch of 1.25 mm/rev. When those are combined then the resulting "pitch" of the screw becomes 1.5 - 1.25 mm/rev -> 0.25 mm/rev. This means that the screw has to be turned four turns to advance one millimeter.
Same effect could be achieved by making a screw with 0.25 mm/rev but that would become very thin thread and would not be robust. Further more, that thread is not standard.

Tom Lipton has video differential screw starts at 27:00

Making the swivelling part for attaching the dial indicator.
This part is made out of tool steel which is quite hard to machine.

Forumshot.jpg

The video is suitable for the hearing impaired and persons who have difficulties in understanding my spoken English.
The video has hand written subtitles in English, German and Finnish languages.

Back