Making a Wrench for Changing Collets

CannonFodder

Active User
Registered
When installing and removing collets on my RF31, I use two wrenches because I don't have a spindle brake (want one). I actually don't know how other people remove collets on an RF31, but I had a 17mm wrench on the draw bar and an adjustable wrench on the spline.

spline needing a wrench.jpg 3

I suppose many people use that big black nut under the spline, but mine was loose when the machine arrived and I haven't messed with it since I tightened it.

I always felt that I was marring the spline with the wrench and knew that I would want something different soon . . . project!

I thought of a number of different options, but I kept thinking that it might be nice to have a wrench that fit the spline exactly and was of a softer material. I pictured casting some aluminum right around the spline, and copying the shape exactly. I don't mind projects that take awhile, and I love to play with various processes, so here is the path I took.

I built a little dam around the bottom of spline right where you see it in the photo. I then slid a steel pipe over the spline and filled the cavity with regular candle wax. The little wax mold slid right up and off the oily spline. I set the wax mold, which was about 1 1/4 inches long and open on both ends, into some sand just to gently hold it vertically (it was significantly thin-walled). Into this cavity now went some plaster of paris. Sorry, I don't have photos of this, I didn't know it was all going to work out the first time, I just thought I was playing with the materials.

After allowing the plaster to thoroughly dry (couple of days), I cleaned up the ends of what was now a core for the next pour.

I had a 1 1/2 inch lug wrench socket laying around because I had used the shaft of the star wrench from which it came to make a nice fly cutter. This I thought would make a nice outside surface for my wrench-to-be. The hexagon shape might give me future options for the handle that I had not thought of yet. So the lug is now the mold, and the plaster of paris, which is shaped like the spline, is my core.

Core and mold with wrench unstacked.jpg

Here is the lug mold, the plaster core (not the piece I used, but a left-over piece) and the resultant future-wrench, which currently looks like a nut.
Here they are again, stacked up.

Core and mold with wrench stacked.jpg

Do you have any ideas for a slick way to attach a handle to this? I would like to hear them.

CannonFodder (Bob)

spline needing a wrench.jpg Core and mold with wrench unstacked.jpg Core and mold with wrench stacked.jpg

Nice work, I don't have any ideas to add but I use the Luminar wrench for my spline. The other one is from a guy who makes them & sells them on ebay.

Thank you very much, that is all good information! I like the addition of the ratcheting 17mm wrench, that looks good.

CannonFodder

I drilled 4 blind holes around the spindle collar on mine so I could use a spanner wrench.

Ok, I've seen similar threads and I just don't get it...I just squeeze the belt, and that's enough to loosen the drawbar....am I missing something?

I very seldom need to tighten the collets to the point of needing a wrench, but I DID make one just for that purpose awhile back as a stand-bye. Very similar to the ones shown above. Normally a good rap on the ratchet handle will loosen and tighten the collets sufficiently for my purposes. I have never had one walk out on me....

Actually you don't need a full spline wrench. I put a hole in a piecee of 1/2" aluminum stock them milled a slot 1/4" deep straight across the center, then inserted alum. keys held in with screws. Been working fine for years.

G"Day,
Being a lazy old bugger who can't be bothered opening the top cover and reaching up to the top of the spindle, I grabbed an old 1 1/4" open ended spanner (wrench) and ground it out to 36mm between flats, this fits the flats on the ER32 collet chuck whilst using the "C" spanner (wrench) to tighten / loosen the collet nut.
Regards,
Martin

Back