Making an M18x1.5 thread cleaning tap

Success!

I cut an M18x1.5 in a piece of mystery steel, cut 4 slots in it with a cut of wheel. And twisted it in with a pair of vice grips, LOL. It worked, I'm able to twist in a plug all the way by hand.

Looks good! Now mill a square on the back end (and center-drill just for fun), mark the shaft “M18-1.5” with a paint stick and keep it for the next time.

I screwed up the other day working on my Bronco project. I welded in a O2 sensor bung to my header reducer and got it a little too hot. The threads look ok but have kind of a mill scale look to them. I could probably force the sensor in, but I would rather clean up the threads.

So, my plan is to make a cleaning tap. I'll turn some stock to M18x1.5 and then mill 3 slots length wise and then heat treat. Since I have never did any heat treating before (I'll watch some YouTube first) will it distort the threads? The other thing is, I'm not sure what I have for stock, will 12L14 work? Other than that, I probably only have mystery metal. Or maybe a larger US bolt that I could turn down.

I don't think it will take much to clean up the threads, maybe even turning an M18x1.5 and a couple slots would do it without even hardening.
You can get a tap made just for that application pretty cheap on Amazon. I have an assortment for o2 bungs NOX sensors and spark plugs. Unless you just want to make one. I can understand that too. I to would like to learn more about heat treating

Nice tool making. Sure, it may have taken longer and cost more in time to make it, but you’ve got the satisfaction of making it yourself, and didn’t have to wait a couple of days for shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back