Making any sized gear with just a slitting saw....

Impressive! I had a similar idea using a small end mill but the slitting saw would definitely be faster.

My thought was to use the 4th axis on my CNC mill. Once the profile of the gear was generated, I would import the model to the CAM program which would generate the tool path to cut the tooth profiles. While this would be slower than hobbing a gear, it could be run automatically without an operator.

One more use for the CNC mill.

I actually use a mod 4 40 tooth regularly in a machine I make. I have the gears water jet cut and then just clean them up. Mod 4 is the gear size on automatic gates here. On the odd occasion that I have needed to machine the gear I start by drilling a 5.0mm hole at the root of the gear and then follow his methodology. Works for me but mine is a very low speed application. Andy's gear hobbing Arduino controller is my next project.

Thanks for the heads up to what looks like another worthy YouTube channel.

My thought was to use the 4th axis on my CNC mill. Once the profile of the gear was generated, I would import the model to the CAM program which would generate the tool path to cut the tooth profiles. While this would be slower than hobbing a gear, it could be run automatically without an operator.

One more use for the CNC mill.
I would think with a 4th axis and cnc, you could do this very easily with a slitting saw, or a slitting saw for initial cuts and a mill for final profiling.

This is a clever idea, maybe maybe better suited for lower tooth count gears. My first and so far last gear was 62 teeth. That’s a LOT of cranking.

First off, excellent video! Have book marked Andy and going to start looking at his videos.

I have never cut a gear. Installed plenty and set backlash, but not made one from scratch. I downloaded his spreadsheet. Can somebody tell me a simple way to convert DP to Mod? Most stuff I looked at has stuff with DP and the gear cutters are advertised as such. I can see where this would be a fun thing to try with aluminum or Delrin. But if you were to make a 30-40 tooth gear in steel, how many saw blades would you wear out? Would a single saw blade at $20-25 be a good way to go?

Back