Making Chips on my Bridgeport

Assuming it it single phase, look into a transformer instead of a motor.

I don't have 220 in my unit so I can't use a phase converter or VFD to run it. I am gonna see if I can get 220 ran to my unit though.
How big is the motor? My VFD runs on 220V, but the place I bought it from also had some slightly more expensive ones that could run on 110V. I just bought it earlier this year but I've already forgotten who it was - temaco, temeco? something starting with a te and ending in a co.

I use a VFD on my lathe - so no help with a reverse switch there.
But yes, you bypass all the on/off/reverse switches and it's controlled by parameters on the VFD. I'm pretty sure that model has a reverse parameter. You don't reverse on the fly, you select the parameter - default is forward, or press a button for reverse, and then you hit start. You can download the manual right there on the page and if you shoot them an email or call (I had to do both) they can tell you. It doesn't take much time to wire it - three wires from the motor, two wires and a ground from the cord to the wall (you'll need to buy that). And if it runs backwards when you first turn it on, you just reverse any two of the wires from the motor.

The plate on the motor should have the specs but if it's a 1hp motor 4 amps should do it - but don't take my word for that, you'll need to track down your motor data and make sure.

VFD will do F/R, so you need no other switches. Parameter 231 according to the manual. Should be able to program a button to spin down to zero at a preset decel, then go the other direction.

Charley
Did you look at that motor I sent a pic in that link?
The name plate tag says 110/220 Though it is wired and running on 220 now.

Charley
Did you look at that motor I sent a pic in that link?
The name plate tag says 110/220 Though it is wired and running on 220 now.

I did, I thought you were gonna send some more pictures, I need to get something rolling cause I'm chomping at the bit to get this thing to my shop and making chips into the wee hours of the morning.

With The motor setup you have we may have to swap pulleys too cause all of the retrofits I've seen they had to drill the pulley out to fit the shaft. Let me know how quick you could ship it & if it will be OK to keep my motor till your gets here so I can still use the mill at Benny's house.

Back