Making internal thread carbide tool

Larry$

Registered
Registered
I'm making some arbores for a Max spindle sander. Need to internally thread for a 3/4" -16tpi "nut."
After a failure at making a o-1 tool and attempting to heat treat, I found a dull 1/2" two flute router bit in my Junk collection.
I milled away the steel from behind the carbide that I wanted to remove. Then just broke the carbide away.
On the tool & cutter grinder I reduced the diameter for clearance and ground the carbide tip with a diamond wheel.
I got a good 60 degree on the end but had to do the inside angle free hand. Got enough back relief and compared to a fishtail gage. Looked OK.
Drilled, bored & knurled a piece of steel for the nut. Set the gears for 16 tpi and it worked.

Attachments

• threading tool from router bit.JPG
    threading tool from router bit.JPG
    544.8 KB · Views: 41
I use threading tools from Bokum Co. I have never needed carbide tools for any threading, they are available, but to my experience they chip all too easily.

Should have noted I milled flats so it would always go back into the holder the same way.

I make my internal threading tools out of 01 square stock so the rake angle is consistent.

Nice tool and good grinding work! Good job!

That said, I'm with John and prefer HSS for threading, both internal and external. Maybe it's an older timer thing? :) I made up a small diameter boring bar that holds 1/8" tool bits that can go quite small internal threads. If I need smaller, I'll grind one up out of a square HSS tool bit. That's a piece of cake on a T&C grinder once you figure out how to position the tool bit for proper grinding. I use a universal grinding vise on my T&C grinder. They can be ground by hand as well, but a T&C grinder is a lot easier!

Ted

I've got some O1 but have not mastered getting it hardened and tempered.
I had poor results with hardening and then tempering. Then I tried just hardening the 01 and using it like that. It worked great. I turn the 60 degree point on the lathe then mill off slightly more than half to get clearance. This results in two cutters. Then I grind off one cutter to get it to fit in a smaller bore. If you're doing big bores you can leave the front and rear cutter. I use it for threading for the breech plug in my SML builds.

Attachments

• DSC_0774.JPG
    DSC_0774.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC_0786.JPG
    DSC_0786.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 21
Back