Making My Shop More Secure

The biggest thing about a security bar of that fashion could make a thief want to get in to just see what they can pick up and sell. A padlock is made to keep honest people honest that is why we have thieves. To me that would be an invite to come in and see. Just like anything the weakest point is where they will go for. The metal siding is screwed on and if it is a person with a cordless will be in in seconds and the security bar intact.
Good Luck
Nelson Collar

It sucks that all you really can do is keep the honest people out and may a few kids. I don't know if it does any good but I leave some empty brass a few empty SG shells by every door when I get back from the range. Maybe they will think twice.

That master lock is making me cringe. It's the weakest part of your system. No security pins, non boron shackle. People in the lockpicking community make fun of them. I CAN PICK EVERY MASTER LOCK IVE EVER HELD with HOMEMADE tools. Both single point picking (SPP) and raking. Plus, every master lock is the same inside. From the tiny ones to the large ones. Get at least a American lock (owned by master lock co. but has security pins), an Abus, or other well made lock with a boron shackle and security pins. Make sure there is at least 5 pins, preferably 6 or 7.

You might have thought a good brand like master lock and the fact that it's a disk lock with hidden shackle that it was secure, and I don't blame you since I used to think that too.

Here is a video of a guy in the lockpicking youtube community making fun of master locks, I find this video hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAwMMVPalr0
The rest of the lock apparatus looks very nice, good job!

Sorry for not replying sooner to your posts. Been traveling since last Friday and haven't had a chance to get on-line until now. My thanks to everyone for their comments and constructive criticism. That's why I like this forum.

Tom S

shotgun and some string

Unfortunately the home owner who set that up would be the one going to prison.

Although all of the security ideas are good ones, the old saying "stronger safes make smarter crooks" applies to my opinion. One case: there was a shop that I set up in a commercial building. Although the doors were secure, thieves broke in by pulling away the sheet metal wall panels. BTW, my job was electrical and air line installation.

I would say to have the best security that you can reasonably have for your shop and carry some extra theft /vandalism insurance.

Any thing less than this you are taking your chances, the only problem is you can't get in your own shop... LOL
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQmM2hlHnURMrz1c-UwNFaQeZe0dNKwzBSWWQuyQJwqZtpqC8M0.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQmM2hlHnURMrz1c-UwNFaQeZe0dNKwzBSWWQuyQJwqZtpqC8M0.jpg

Unfortunately the home owner who set that up would be the one going to prison.

Although all of the security ideas are good ones, the old saying "stronger safes make smarter crooks" applies to my opinion. One case: there was a shop that I set up in a commercial building. Although the doors were secure, thieves broke in by pulling away the sheet metal wall panels. BTW, my job was electrical and air line installation.

I would say to have the best security that you can reasonably have for your shop and carry some extra theft /vandalism insurance.

The best security is to not own anything worth stealing. Works for me.

Back