Making Scarifier Teeth for the Bobcat

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
It's snowing and raining here today so was able to spend some time in the shop and make some
scarifier teeth for the Bobcat. The new 4 way bucket had holes predrilled for teeth so the remaining
job was to get some teeth made. The material used was 1.125 inch x 1.125 inch cold roll steel.
The home made band saw made short work of cutting the bar into 16 inch pieces and a face
mill was used to angle the tips. I set up the drilling using my home made edge finder and digital
readout. It was a pretty straight forward job and took about two hours.

P1020494.JPG
This is my home made edge finder with a 200 thousandths tip.

P1020491.JPG
This is a photo of my drilling set up.

P1020492.JPG
This is the end product. I needed seven teeth and the last tooth has already been installed
on the Bobcat for fitment.

I'm building a road in the woods and this will be very handy to deal with the many roots along the way.

Are you going to heat treat those before mounting? I can't imagine they'll stay straight for long, especially with all that length to lever the teeth against their mounts.

Are you going to heat treat those before mounting? I can't imagine they'll stay straight for long, especially with all that length to lever the teeth against their mounts.

Yes, they were pretty long but worked well for rooting up the quack grass in the garden. After that, they were starting to
bend as expected to ended up shortening them up some. They work really well with about 4 inches protruding when digging
in a sand-clay mix. They are made of cold roll material so heat treating wouldn't be an option.

Back