Making Studs For Lms Mini Mill Riser

edojan

Registered
Registered
hello folks, here is the situation: I have ordered a solid column riser from LMS (see the pic below) which came with some studs, but discovered that those studs are about 1/4" shorter than they need to be. There is simply not enough hight on the threads for the top nut to hold. I have measured the thread and it is metric 8 mm with 1.25 pitch. I have some O-1 drill rod in 7.5mm and I also have the thread cutting die in 8-1.25 metric.
Question: if 7.5 mm rod would be OK or do I need to get the 8mm (the difference is .5 mm which is ~ 0.02 inches) - And more importantly is is the steel going to hold - I understand that the O-1 rod comes normalized - but do I need to harden it or it can be used unhardened after I cut the threads?
Thanks
Ed
5127.480.jpg

You could counterbore the column base perhaps to allow enough threads to show, if that wouldn't make it too thin. Probably not the first choice. Second choice, buy some new bolts. Grade 10.9 if you can get them. 8.8 is about the same as our grade 5, which is a quench and tempered alloy steel. Pretty good for most application. 10.9 are considerably stronger.

Another option would be all thread rod, but it is not as strong, so would probably stretch with stresses on it, so may not be the best choice. If you baby the mill, it would be fine, but since you are putting a riser on it, it will see more stress than usual, so bolts are the last place I'd want to cheap out.

Making custom bolts or studs might sound cool, but unless I had to, I would rather (much) just shop around and buy the appropriate fasteners.

Thanks for the tip! Does anyone know a place that sells M8 - 1.25 x 90mm class 10.9 in small quantities and is willing to ship to Canada ...

I have found some in 12.9 grade on ebay but it ships from China .... in my experience takes a month or so to arrive.

Back