Making tee bolts, need advice.

For what its worth department, the next time the Elect. or Phone Co. bucket trucks around, just ask If he could spare a couple nuts they
use on phone poles, they are square 5/8 thread. Last time the phone guy said what do you want a bucket full. hell no just a hand full.
they could care less.

I took a chisel and cut an interuption in the bottom threads of the ones I made. I'm thinking making some more t-nuts and bolts. This time I'm going to thread the bolts to the exact length of the nut so that the bolt bottoms out on the nut.

Yet another noob question here. I have watched Tubalcain's videos and they are great. My question, however, is should these nuts be hardened, or do you just let the steel be?

For what its worth department, the next time the Elect. or Phone Co. bucket trucks around, just ask If he could spare a couple nuts they
use on phone poles, they are square 5/8 thread. Last time the phone guy said what do you want a bucket full. hell no just a hand full.
they could care less.

Wow Sam! What a tip!

Bernie

Yet another noob question here. I have watched Tubalcain's videos and they are great. My question, however, is should these nuts be hardened, or do you just let the steel be?

you do not need to harden t-nuts, or most things for that matter. you do want to harden parts that see a lot of friction and high speed movement to prevent them from premature wear and tear, but for static parts/nuts/bolts and the likes it is not necessary.

After reading all your concerns and advice on making t-bolts and nuts, I am thinking that how you make them isn't near as important as how you use them. a quick measurement to decide not to use too long of a bolt is very important to start with--since you definately do not want to bottom the bolt out on the bottom of the t-slot, as it starts to tighten, and you are not sure-just slip a shim under to see if it is.---an easy thing to make would be an aluminum strip that would slide easily under your t-nut before using your bolt and then when you tighten your bolt down you can make sure you can still slide the strip. **just remember that a bolt tightened into the bottom of the t-slot has a lot of upward pressure and can easily crack or break upper part of slot.--I think we all have seen this and wished someone hadn't done it!!!---Dave :thinking:

After reading all your concerns and advice on making t-bolts and nuts, I am thinking that how you make them isn't near as important as how you use them. a quick measurement to decide not to use too long of a bolt is very important to start with--since you definately do not want to bottom the bolt out on the bottom of the t-slot, as it starts to tighten, and you are not sure-just slip a shim under to see if it is.---an easy thing to make would be an aluminum strip that would slide easily under your t-nut before using your bolt and then when you tighten your bolt down you can make sure you can still slide the strip. **just remember that a bolt tightened into the bottom of the t-slot has a lot of upward pressure and can easily crack or break upper part of slot.--I think we all have seen this and wished someone hadn't done it!!!---Dave :thinking:
Thanks alot
i ordered a 12mm tee bolt and it fits better than the 7/16.

I think i may be better off buying 4 more and 4 flanged nuts and an assortment of studs, and just use the step blocks and straps from my milling set.
Thanks guys!

Back