Man To Man...how Do You Deal?

I must be the luckiest man on earth,
my better half accepts that i stink ,after working or playing hard.

of course i have had to adjust how i think about things-
I do my best to not mess up her kitchen. she stays out of my shop(s)
you may just need a little forethought as to how to avoid the spat in the first place,
like not washing the gojo and dawn from your greasy hands onto White China, or putting your greasy coveralls in the "regular laundry".
she gets real cranky and almost downright mean when she gotta throw clothes out or turn em' into rags.:cussing:

a tip i can give, use bacon grease/mineral oil for drilling and tapping- you'll smell better than using dark cutting oil
swap lacquer thinner for kerosene, the smell dissipates better

think like the enemy, if you wish to engage

I don't know if this will cure the noise from the basement shop problem or not, but I am currently working on getting my basement shop set up. It's been a long slow process as time to work on it is hard to come by, but my future shop is directly below our dining room. I plan to put in suspended ceiling down there, which helps with noise issues, but I may also put fiberglass insulation between the floor joists, hoping that it will help dampen more of the noise.

fiberglass insulation between the floor joists,

It will, my shop has 8" of fiberglas above the drywall ceiling, I can hear herself thumping on the floor to get my attention, but she can't hear my (quite) machines. When I work Cast Iron, the kitchen floor gets black in spots. I scrub them away occasionally. She still feeds me.

Only thing my wife really gets tweaked about is if I come home smelling like JP-5 and don't toss my clothes in the washer post haste and hit the shower. If I'm not in the shower within 10 minutes, I hear about from her.

I guess mine is somewhat understanding. (and I make her things every once and a while). She understands the greasy smell and the gunk in the sink, and has even put up with me using her dishwasher to clean stuff, oven to bake and heat stuff. ad has found some of my parts cooling in the freezer. But she takes it in stride. I did a lot of auto work over the years, and the one time she got real upset was when did not have a shop while in England and we had just installed new carpet when the engine on my car had problems, I pulled it took it apart, and sent it to a machine shop to have machine work done then when it was ready I put plywood and plastic down on the fore and check everything and assembled it in the living room floor. Lucky for me I did not get any grease on the new light colored carpet.
I keep a good supply of rags in a box, to wipe down and clean with, go jo hand cleaner to clean up with, and mats to help keep the swarf out of the house. It does help.

Look women are naturally nesters and messing up their nest in the house well it would be less risky to carelessly handle explosives.

Wow you are really asking for trouble ( i have also used the oven for baking enamel but wait till she is of somewhere ;)

I was lucky enough to find a decent-sized used toaster oven for cheap that goes up to 500F.

The only machine that makes noise in the living area is the belt/disk sander. That's because it is the only machine in the basement; everything else is in an attached tiny garage. Of course, the reason that machine is there is because I seldom use it. I have a smaller one that I generally pull out for smaller jobs.

I use grime boss hand wipes in the shop. Get them cheap at Sam's club.

upload_2015-10-31_22-35-33.png

Uh, if those are despensing units, I'll take a case. Or three...

I use hand cleaners and wipes on my hands. Make sure all chips are off the bottom of my shoes before leaving the shop area. For containers I reuse those small tubs the deli uses for the potato salad. They have a snap on lid so they work pretty good for cleaning small parts. Also I do make something for the wife now and then when I hear her talking about something she would like.

When the woman is unhappy everyone is unhappy.

Back