Manley mechanical press

Jeepers I’m just slow with no justification.
Good job man!

Thanks David.

Guess I’m out of sync too as I forgot my rethinking of the retainer. I had figured out how to counter sink, drill and tap the two pieces. I had bought a nice angle plate locally last year and kinda forgotten about it. It was the missing piece so to speak.

Attachments

• BD00F9DA-ACE2-4222-982C-DBD34A425134.jpeg
    BD00F9DA-ACE2-4222-982C-DBD34A425134.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 237
  • 1774CF59-AEAE-4EA3-B237-D41B6E6644FE.jpeg
    1774CF59-AEAE-4EA3-B237-D41B6E6644FE.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 236
That tag is gorgeous! Very cool find.

That tag is gorgeous! Very cool find.
Thanks.

I plan on pulling the tag and doing a better polish on it. Not too long into the 20's they changed the logo and tag to something simpler. I'm trying to get around to doing a batch pdf of the later manual I found on Amazon. I've not found on the net a press as early design as this one. YT has some other examples of the early Garage and Shop Manley mechanical equipment. One was a purely mechanical floor jack.

I guess if I was trying to restore the press I would have fixed the old original retainer but there was a reason it was dropped for something similar to what I made. It was a bad design and not adjustable to compensate for the wear of the solid brass thrust bearing.

Thanks to all for looking.

This should get blown up 2" tall, framed and hung in the shop IMHO :)
1620312179155.png

Interesting you are so impressed with this tag. It is kinda cool, and as far as I can tell it's probably from the early teens as the co' started around 1912. So some things have some craftsmanship to them. But the idea of a screw press that can produce 22tn of pressure and has 3 levels of mechanical advantage, or actually 4 levels including turning the wheel by hand is the cool part IMHO.

I Played with your tag image. hope that's OK.

065D1498-6749-4F05-9CD0-F663C50047E5_edited.jpg

I Played with your tag image. hope that's OK.

View attachment 365059
No problem. I’m hoping to make it look better than that as it was about 5min of messing with it to see if was even brass or copper. The rivets are just long copper things bent over in the back so easy to remove. What’s weird is every single pic I’ve seen the tag is not straight. THAT bugs me and it makes me wonder if they did it on purpose?

Back