Manual Metal Shear

MrWhoopee

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've never seen one like this. Wonder what the capacity is.

1712721464096.png
1712721591790.png

If the device is satisfactorily attached to the earth, it's capacity is governed by how wide the cutters will open and how long the pipe you put over the handle is.

That's a beast! It appears to have two slots for the handle - anyone know why?

GsT

My bench chopper has a capacity of 3mm but it doesn't really like that too much.

Most of what I chop up with it is about 1.5mm

Stu

I've seen several sizes at used equipment dealers. The one in the picture is probably used for cutting reinforcing rod at construction or road paving sites. One of the dealers has a large version with jaws over a foot long. It came from a foundry and was used to cut 2" plate into sections before feeding it into the furnace. The larger one must weigh close to 5,000 lbs. and has a 20 hp electric motor. The hand powered shears have largely been replaced with powered shears or cutoff saws.

That's a beast! It appears to have two slots for the handle - anyone know why?

GsT
Good eye. I’ll bet it’s so you can maintain an advantageous angle on the handle. The one it’s on is for thicker plate. I would guess it can cut 1/4” steel. It looks like the governing factor is what will fit in the jaws.

If the device is satisfactorily attached to the earth, it's capacity is governed by how wide the cutters will open and how long the pipe you put over the handle is.

“Give me a place to stand, and a lever long enough, and I will move the world. ”​

― Archimedes

Good eye. I’ll bet it’s so you can maintain an advantageous angle on the handle. The one it’s on is for thicker plate. I would guess it can cut 1/4” steel. It looks like the governing factor is what will fit in the jaws.
I was thinking 1/4" also, but maybe not with that short handle.

And as mentioned, different handle positions for different thicknesses of material.

Yes, my guess was also 1/4", but whatever will fit between the knives is likely the right answer.

One of these shears is sitting in my barn, Mine has a throat capacity for 1/2" x 4" flat stock or 1" rounds. Unlike the one pictured above, it only has one position for the lever and it is geared for about a 4:1 mechanical advantage. The lever socket will accommodate a 1/2" x 2" bar although the mounting pedestal will have to be substantial to be able to shear 1/2" by 4" flats.

Back