Maritool Cat40 Collet Tool Holders - TIR is too high

poorboy

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi,

My machine is a Haas TM0P. Its measured TIR at the spindle is less than than .0001". I usually purchase my cat40 tool holders from Haas and the TIR using these holders is generally less than .0002" (it is quite good).

I heard so many good things about Maritool - so I decided to purchases a couple of Maritool's Cat40 Collet Tool Holders (please note that they are almost 2x the price of the Haas tool holders).

From Maritool, I purchased: a CAT40 ER32 1.85 COLLET CHUCK TOOL HOLDER (CAT40-ER32-1.85) and a CAT40 ER25 1.85 COLLET CHUCK TOOL HOLDER (CAT40-ER25-1.85).

The TIR of the ER25 tool holder was around .0005" and the TIR of the ER32 tool holder was .0003" (the ER32 TIR's wasn't that bad) -- but they were both worse than Haas. So what is the point here: if you are going to buy tool holders save some money and buy from Haas - generally the quality is very good.

Anyway just trying to save some people some money.

Attachments

• Maritool-ER25-TIR.MOV
    12.1 MB
  • Maritool-ER32-TIR.MOV
    8.2 MB
Maritool’s website lists the concentricity of less than 0.0001”, what did Frank say when you called him to report the toolholders are out of spec?

Maritool’s website lists the concentricity of less than 0.0001”, what did Frank say when you called him to report the toolholders are out of spec?

I am exchanging emails with him now. He asked me to check the torque that I am using on the retention knobs - I will do that tomorrow (I just ordered a craw foot adapter to fit the retention knobs) and re-run the tests; however I do not expect that this will impact the TIR measurements (but if it does I will post the new results).

Last edited:
This is the reply from Frank -

===================

In the past 20 years of grinding tool holders, every time there is a TIR issue it is with HAAS machines. I think it is a combination of low drawbar force and people using retention knobs without pilot diameters.

5/8-11 is a very coarse thread and does not center itself very well.

If a series of holders are ground to a low end angle while other manufacturers grind to a slightly higher angle and the spindle does not create enough elastic deformation due to low drawbar force you can get a poor fit with the later series of tool holders.

If you wish I can ups some of our knobs to try out or you can send the holders back for refund. Thank you.

===================

Frank is sending me two of his knobs to test out to see if I can reduce the TIR on the received tool holders. In any case, he was very responsive and I hope that the TIR can be reduced so that I can use his products. Its nice to see someone stand behind their products.

I’m glad to hear he is taking care of you, I have only heard positive things about him over the years. After reading his comments, I do recall seeing on PM over the years guys with Haas machines having problems with some toolholders. Hopefully the retention knobs solves your problem.

Back