[Mill] Marlow Vertical mill - should I buy?

Ben17484

Registered
Registered
Hi All,

After some advice. I’ve been offered a Marlow vertical mill (exact model yet unknown) for a very reasonable price. Assuming it’s in good working order, I’m interested. The issue i have is moving it. I need to get this through a single standard door to my workshop area. I have an engine hoist and a positive attitude, but I don’t know if that’s good enough…

2170c9a313ba4fc91372f11c88998b37.jpg

cf0da3df978f38e0a354d913386b88b4.jpg

I appreciate that Marlow isn’t a particularly common make, but this style of mill is pretty common. So my question is this - has anyone got a similar mill and do you know how easy it comes apart, does it come in to parts that are easily moved by a couple of guys and an engine hoist and will those parts fit through a single door way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not familiar with this mill, but based on your location I assume it is an English or European brand. To me it resembles some of the popular smaller mills over here, Rockwell,, Clausing and the Asian imports sold under a variety of brands.

Machines come apart, and I would assume like the other mills I listed these could be fairly easily be broken into 3-5 major components, head, motor, column, knee, table and base making in much easier to move. Not much there to get a real idea of size but assuming it is a smaller mill comparable to those I listed 6x24 - 8x30 ish I'd guess 600-800lbs total?

Last edited:
I brought my Index mill into my shop that has a 36" door. Did it in parts put rolling dollies. It isn't terribly difficult. I've known guys that get Bridgeports in basements so it could be worse. Good luck

Sent from my Nokia 8 V 5G UW using Tapatalk

You do "divide and conquer".
@Aaron_W beat me to it.
You can have a merry time exploring how to get it to come apart, and you know all the time that getting it together again, and all set up correctly will be your first bunch of fun. Much better is getting hold of information about it, particularly, manuals, drawings, instructions. The folk here are very good at that, and this site has stuff on a lot of machines.

While I have been typing, @francist has already come up with a link. :)
https://store.lathes.co.uk/print/m15

Last edited:
I have seen Bridgeport mills moved through a 36" door without disassembly, the rigger had a 2 wheel dolly, the wheels mounted on a U shaped frame, that was only about 1/2" off the floor, the wheels about 8" dia. made of iron; the table was cranked all the war to the left and jockeyed around to stick through the doorway and the mill rotated until it was all the way through the doorway, a completely smooth operation.

Thanks everyone. Sounds like it is possible then. The largest mill I’ve moved is 250kg (Broken down in to its components) and this one is 450kg, so I’m a little apprehensive.

The mill is part of a machine shop that’s closing down, so it’s probably seen quite a bit of work. I’ll need to checks it’s in good working order and not too worn. Any suggestions on good videos/articles on checking if a mill is worn would be appreciated.

My Clausing came from a small machine shop , i was told it was used for small jobs instead of the Bridgeports . It was in very good condition .Hopefully yours was used like that too . You table looks in very nice shape might be an indication of how they used and cared for it . Good luck !

My Clausing came from a small machine shop , i was told it was used for small jobs instead of the Bridgeports . It was in very good condition .Hopefully yours was used like that too . You table looks in very nice shape might be an indication of how they used and cared for it . Good luck !

Thanks Alcop. I should have been clearer in my original post - the pictures in that post are not of the actual Mill I’d be buying, just the same (or at least very similar) model. I don’t have great pictures of the actual mill yet, so just found those on Google for reference.

This is the only picture of the actual mill I have.

63f619af87ad3d5a3f11bb6b99ddc30a.jpg

Back