Matching a chuck to a shaft

Hello Everyone and thank you for being so helpful.
Here is the information I have gathered. This new chuck has no markings on it. After an application of Marvels mystery oil, its smooth. It has no markings whatsoever on it anywhere and its chuck key is quite stout. The taper is 1.105 at its top, is 1.690 deep and measures1.0285 at the bottom. I remembered that what lead me to installing the present chuck was a problem in its "spinning". I solved that problem long ago, but for the life of me I do not remember what I did. (77). I do know in attempting to remove it, the chuck resisted my efforts.
Eventually I will separate my present chuck from the shaft it is on. Now that you helpful people have informed me about tapers, of which I knew nothing, I am virtually certain this vertical mill I bought when Harbor Freight was just getting known in 1986 almost certainly does not have the same taper this chuck has. I could not get that lucky. So assuming two different tapers, once I get the old chuck off, how do I install the new one correctly so it does not slip and also turns true, without a wobble. I do not use this machine a lot but when it is equipped with router bits meant for serious wood routing, it does some pretty special work with the usage of its heavy duty table, when removing stock.
Thank you all so much in advance.
Gene S

Back