Material for new compound slide

dabear3428

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
so i have the opportunity to replace my aluminum compound slide on a 9X24 mini lathe, should i use a36 steel, other steel, cast iron or what to machine this out of?

Attachments

• lathe 2.jpg
    lathe 2.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 24
  • lathe.jpg
    lathe.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 23
I would think cast iron had the best vibration dampening characteristics.
my thinking also but i understand the steel is stronger and maybe it would be better for stiffness on this mini lathe?

Since it is on a small lathe, the material choice could come down to the smallest cross section as it’s weakest point. I replaced my cast iron one with a steel one that I posted on this site. My was broken at the T-slot and had been repaired before. I decided to replace it before it broke again, and due to having a bolt down QCTP, I was able to avoid the T-slot.
Pierre

Since it is on a small lathe, the material choice could come down to the smallest cross section as it’s weakest point. I replaced my cast iron one with a steel one that I posted on this site. My was broken at the T-slot and had been repaired before. I decided to replace it before it broke again, and due to having a bolt down QCTP, I was able to avoid the T-slot.
Pierre
t slots are a cross slide thing but i get your meaning, so steel is stronger are there any downside other than the vibration dampening ability of cast iron and i think it is easier to machine.

Cross slide is the part that slides in and out, while the compound can be rotated 360 degrees.
Cast iron is very messy. Also the dust and chips are abrasive to the tools and the machine. You should cover what you can of the lathe and area. Be sure to clean all of the debris before it gets into areas that are under your carriage and slides.

I'd just make a solid plinth for most of the turning you do as the compound isn't needed and the extra rigidity would be a good thing. If the aluminum compound works for the times you need it, just buy a chunk of metal for the plinth and spend the rest of the $180 on other tooling.

John

I wouldn’t use A36, because it’s terrible to machine. Cast iron would be my first choice.

Cross slide is the part that slides in and out, while the compound can be rotated 360 degrees.
Cast iron is very messy. Also the dust and chips are abrasive to the tools and the machine. You should cover what you can of the lathe and area. Be sure to clean all of the debris before it gets into areas that are under your carriage and slides.

nice and i see that your t-slots are on the compound most of the t-slots i have seen ar on the cross slide.

Back