Material pass through support

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
My new support roller, the metal supply place charges per cut for cutting material, so if I buy a 12' length of 2" aluminum, I can cut it on the lathe now, and save some money. 12' = 7 bats. The cold saw throws crap every where, and is heavy to get out from under it's bench, so.....

My new support roller, the metal supply place charges per cut for cutting material, so if I buy a 12' length of 2" aluminum, I can cut it on the lathe now, and save some money. 12' = 7 bats. The cold saw throws crap every where, and is heavy to get out from under it's bench, so.....

Nice job on the material support. How did you get a 12' stick from your supplier to the shop? Like you I often buy complete lengths but find it difficult to get them home without at least cutting them in half. Occasionally I have them cut a bit longer if looking to get multiple specific lengths for projects. My supplier has a huge sign stating "$1.00 Per Cut No Exceptions". In over 25 years of buying material from him I've yet to be charged for a single cut.

I know you're a bit of a tool junkie so it might be worth your time to invest in a low-speed industrial cold saw rather than the higher speed one that throws swarf all over the shop. I originally started with a high speed cut off saw that was more like an abrasive cut off saw with a blade speed near 3,000 rpm. It worked ok, but the blades were expensive, didn't last long before needing to be sharpened, and threw swarf all over the place.

Last year I purchased a Baileigh CS-350EU low speed cold saw. It' a variable speed machine that goes from 21 rpm to 50 rpm, it has flood coolant, and can handle stock up to 4" in diameter. It's a whole different animal than the high-speed saw. I like the fact that it can cut angles up to 45* and can even slit tubing lengthwise. Cuts are accurate to +/- .002" so little or no material is lost due to crooked cuts. Something to consider as a future addition to your shop.

Attachments

• IMG_1414.jpg
    IMG_1414.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1416.jpg
    IMG_1416.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1428.jpg
    IMG_1428.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 21
I would look at getting a horizontal bandsaw. There are numerous incidents/repots of supported stock sticking out the spindle similar to what you have, and if the bar starts to oscillate and then suddenly flexes, it either whips the operator to dearth, destroys the lathe and a number of cases where the bar breaks and hit someone else in the shop. At least have some form of captive system that bar can't jump away from the two lower rollers. A horizontal bandsaw has saved me an enormous amount of time in cutting stock, vs. trying to do it on the lathe or mill.

I would look at getting a horizontal bandsaw. There are numerous incidents/repots of supported stock sticking out the spindle similar to what you have, and if the bar starts to oscillate and then suddenly flexes, it either whips the operator to dearth, destroys the lathe and a number of cases where the bar breaks and hit someone else in the shop. At least have some form of captive system that bar can't jump away from the two lower rollers. A horizontal bandsaw has saved me an enormous amount of time in cutting stock, vs. trying to do it on the lathe or mill.

I had that happen with a 3/4" diameter bar of copper, the 16" American Pacemaker was well secured to the floor, and only a bit of paint was scratched up and some stock lost where it bent 90 degrees, ne bosses knew about it ---

I'd also have to say that the support could very easily get out of position if any vibration tool place and get kicked away, allowing the same accident that the video shows, the base on the support has too narrow of a stance and looks pretty flimsy, in my shop, I made on using a heavy truck wheel as a base, it had a wide stance and enough weight to be more stable. In my wood shop, I use something similar to the one shown in the video, I think someone gave it to me; it is nearly useless, too light! any movement of the stock causes it to fall over.

All very good points, thank you. I have seen the video that mark posted, and started at 50 RPM to see how it behaved, and there was some oscillation, I got it to ~100 RPM, and hand fed a GTN 3 blade, that went pretty quick. Project's cold $aw would be a dream add on, and the horizontal I have thought about, but space is a problem. The outside work area under the eaves would be an option, but the Nova's exhaust system, and a spare GM 427 block are in it's spot. :rolleyes: When I go to the airport 6' are sticking out of the back of the truck, it's tied down, and a danger flag is tied to the end.

I agree with Mark. I made a couple of parts for a friend a few years ago, and he gave me a rather old, but very functional horizontal bandsaw. All my rough cuts are done on that saw - round stock or square. WAY safer than long pieces on the lathe. Ask me how I know.

Regards

Back