Maximat Standard

TomKro

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I really didn't need another lathe, but I saw an Emco Maximat for sale with a stand, a 3 jaw chuck, a small vise, faceplate and various other parts for a very good price, so I couldn't pass it up. A very nice fellow up in Newark, Delaware even helped load it on my trailer.

I have not yet checked out the motors, but I noticed the mill/drill head appears to have dry grease in it. Has anyone pulled one of these apart? The drive pulley end has some sort of spring pin, and it looks like the rest of it comes apart from the chuck end, as there's two rings with pin holes for disassembly. Any trick to getting out the spring pin out of the pulley end?

The manual indicates use of Esso Nebula EP No. 1 grease. Can anyone provide advice as to a source for this grease or a suitable substitute?

The bed has a serial number of 651014. Any idea of how old this machine might be? I have not found anything other than "Maximat Standard" on the machine itself, but some literature that came with the manual indicates it may be a model MQ-3100.

Here's some pics and info.
MaximatOnTrailer_resized33.jpg

VerticalAttachment_resized33.jpgMaximatSpindle.jpg

MaximatSpindleCallout.jpg

I appreciate any guidance/advice that might be offered.
TomKro

I want to say I'm jealous of your find.
That looks like an excellent little machine.
I hope you post your process of refurbishment.

Is the spring pin, that you asked about, shown on the diagram?
If so, which part number?

Thanks extropic, I was aware that Emco makes a nice machine, so I jumped on the Craigslist add.

Was outside and tired of pulling weeds - so back to the Maximat.

The ring and clip is St00-23 and St00-19. After digging out some crud, there appeared to be room to pop out the clip. Here's a pic.

SpringClipAndRing_PulleyEnd_Resized.jpg

It popped out without much trouble. The spring slipped out easily, but the pulley still appears firmly attached. I don't want to go pounding on anything, as low chance of finding replacement parts. It sure looks like the pulley should come off the back. Maybe just stuck in place due to tight tolerances and crud in the key slots? Not clear on how to proceed. Maybe lube and a gentle tug with a wheel puller?

Trying real hard not to bugger it up.

TomKro

I've read a number of places that grease EP No. 1 and No. 2 are interchangeable with NGLI #1 and #2, respectively.

Speaking of kugellager I'm going to have some shortly, in a chilled glass

EP typically stands for Extreme Pressure.
Shop for best price.

It looks to me like you need to remove the pully/bearing sub-assembly to access fasteners holding the quill.

In the main section view, near the top, there is a screw (DIN912 M6 x 15) holding the pully cover (St 00-15A).
To remove the bearings from the main housing housing, rather than a puller, I would try a hydraulic pressure method.
The pully/bearings are going to have to come out as a sub-assembly.
IMO, remove that screw and figure a way to pressurize that hole with grease.
Make a special adaptor for a Zerk fitting. I'm thinking a threaded coupling, 1/4-28 one side, M6 through. Then drill through an M6 setscrew to join the threaded coupling to the main housing.

What do you think?

In the axial section view, right side, there is a cone point set screw (DIN553 M6 x 10). I can't tell, from the sections, what the purpose of that set screw is.
The set screw might be bearing on the angled surface of the fastener (ring), St 33-04, so removing the set screw may be necessary (sufficient?) to release the pully/bearings sub-assembly from the main housing.

I have the same mill head that I need to remove the pulley on. Looking forward to seeing how yours comes apart.

By the way, did you get the manual from the seller along with the machine?
If so, that is a small miracle in itself.

I don't know what to make of the square area with the X in it (black square below).
What do you think that is depicting?

MaximatSpindle What's it.jpg

Back