May I Get A General Opinion On This Atlas Machine...price Ok Or Not, Etc...

That lathe doesn't show signs of being rebuilt in my book. Recondition a little, maybe.

As others have said, it lacks the accessories to make it a $1900 lathe by a long shot.

Actually, I have hauled home several Atlas lathes, including a 12", in the back of my Ford Explorer.

Don't let rebuilt scare you off, just be aware and find out what was done. As far as anything else, guy could have wanted a project, finished it and lost interest. (Not that I have ever done that!) I would think $1000 wouldn't be horrible for the machine, if it fits your needs.

Always check the bed carefully for wear. Very important! Also, look at a few lathes before you part with your hard-earned cash :cautious:
Hang out on this forum, you'll be an expert in no time.
Mark S.

I have no doubt. You all really are a friendly bunch and I appreciate that. We were all wet behind the ears at some point in our lives, be it with metal lathes, or you name it and I always appreciate honest answers without the condescending attitudes so prevalent on the internet in general. I sense a lot of maturity and knowledge here that will help me a lot. I'll do my best to get acquainted with lathes in general from all the real good articles I've seen here. I havn't mentioned it but Im looking at some point to see what Tulsa Community College has in the way of courses one can take in metal working with lathes so I can develope good technique from the start. I hope to retire after 34 years being with the same company.....within 2-3 years tops. I'll need a hobby to stay busy, and this is a skill I've always wanted to learn. One of the hardest decisions of course is the machine to get. I don't want to go tiny-tiny as that's just hamstringing myself as I develope skills. I have an idea on what Id like to build for starters but as I get better who knows where it will take me? Know what I mean? But just looking at all the different kinds of lathes, new and old, is a lot of fun actually. I really don't have a price range, as it just depends. I can see spending $3K easily and a bit more if that's what I decide I need to do. Always happy to save money but not afraid to spend it either. This life is too short for me to worry about that now, and I still want to have fun. Still just a 60 year old kid at heart....hope to stay that way too.

Sent from Outlook Mobile.

the atlas machines are light duty, but suitable for a lot of projects.
they are good introduction lathes.
watchout, Krylon rebuilders are everywhere.
putting a link belt on doesn't constitute a rebuild.

Instead of a community college I would suggest looking for a "Maker Space" near you. "Maker Space" is just one name for this. Tech Space, Builders Club, etc.. might be others. It is worth a search on the computer for resources near you.

Here is a random one I found entering "Tulsa Maker Space" https://www.fablabs.io/makersedgemakerspace I didn't check anything except the first page and not necessarily recommending this place but an example. A key thing could be if you find something not close to you or not quite what you want ask the first place what other places there are because people usually know who is where. "I found your place in Waco, is there anywhere near city X you can recommend?"

What the places are are essentially industrial or machinery clubs. They usually have a membership fee $20-50 per month. And for that you can use any equipment they have, hang out, learn things, show other people things, meet people, BUILD projects.

I did that and was able to take a class there and learn Autodesk Inventor (Place has an unlimited license for all Autodesk software if used there.) I can Draw 3D parts and get code ready for CNC cutting. They had a HAAS CNC mill and I was able to draw up and make parts with that. I still keep thinking: "Where else would I ever get to get free instruction and use a machine like that? Would take lots of school ($$$$) and then only use the machines in class or know someone with a machine shop willing to let employees use time on that."

The place also has an extensive amount of metal working tools and woodworking tools. It has 3D printing that you can do free with free instruction just buy a roll of plastic ribbon for a few dollars. Can come in with any random project and use the equipment, I needed to cut out some 4 inch musical notes in wood and just went over and used a scroll saw, etc, etc..

Well, Well worth checking out. Look at the cost of one community college class to compare a membership fee..

Learn all you can then buy some home machinery of your own if you want to or need to. Could find such a nice place with first class equipment you don't really need your own. AND see if you really do want to get the type of machine you are thinking about getting.

Barry I live just across the line in Ar. Keep checking Fort Smith cl. There are a couple good deals on there right now. The SB heavy 10 is a bit high also but it is a very nice machine. I've looked at the one you posted a few times and I agree it's a bit much. I also understand the lack of in our area. It took me 3 years of looking and looking seriously in the last year to find mine. You did come to the right place. This place has already taught this newb a bunch.

Back