Mazak Mate Lathe Bed Wear

will.mcray

Registered
Registered
I am looking at a 1973 Mazak Mate 1440 engine lathe and the pictures they sent me of the bed way closet the chuck looks like it has excessive wear. It could be me or the picture is just giving the illusion. What do you all see?

This is in a fabrication shop and they are the original owners of the lathe. The bed is hardened and ground.

Just not sure if it’s worth the 4 hour drive to look at it.

ede1ff80fac399375a6e8f165fdd6c53.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mazak Bed 1.JPG
Mazak Bed 2.JPG
Mazak Bed.JPG

Last edited:
Pic doesn't show the bed ! :grin:

FWIW , I have a 13" x 40 " and a 16" x 60 " up here almost ready to go . No wear on either . Heading down thru Fredericksburg in 2 weeks .

Theee at two pictures attached. Do you see them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only one pic showing, end of bed
Tapatalk can be problematic

You need to tell us something about you, hobby or production work, what you want to use the machine for, the price of the machine, and provide us some photo's as the one you show us looks like the machine has been painted. If you need a machine to do hobby type work and it is worn up by the chuck you can file the shaft to make it straight. If your going to mostly use the lathe to do short shafts and not between centers then you can twist the bed out of level or alignment so the shaft will turn straight. There are several tricks of the trade I could share to make an old worn machine useful but I need to know more what you need. If you can't figure out how to attach more photo's you can email the pictures to me and I will put them on for you.

Page 5, and 6 have some pictures.

You need to tell us something about you, hobby or production work, what you want to use the machine for, the price of the machine, and provide us some photo's as the one you show us looks like the machine has been painted. If you need a machine to do hobby type work and it is worn up by the chuck you can file the shaft to make it straight. If your going to mostly use the lathe to do short shafts and not between centers then you can twist the bed out of level or alignment so the shaft will turn straight. There are several tricks of the trade I could share to make an old worn machine useful but I need to know more what you need. If you can't figure out how to attach more photo's you can email the pictures to me and I will put them on for you.

I added additional pictures (not using taptalk). I intent to use for hobby work, but want a decent machine that I don't have to fight. They are asking $2k for the lathe with accessories.

Back