measurement language

Use a converter or digital calipers calipers to convert from one system to the other.
I use mainly metric and only use imperial when I have to.
I got so fed up with the 1.25 mm (approx) travel per turn on my cross slide dial that I made an M10x1 screw and nut along with a 100 divisions dial so its all metric now and easy to work out .
I say stick with what you are used to as theres less chance of making mistakes.
I'm also into astronomy and telescope making.

very nice!, i went through and read both the threads!

i might be already won over, i've already have the units stuck in my head, 500 thou is 12.7 mm, i guess it makes me sound cool as if i know fine measurements and skilled at machining

Great questions. If you normally work in metric units then working in Imperial units is not really necessary. A ''thou'' is just simply 0.001 inch. It is normally the base unit that machinists work with in the USA. 0.001 inch = ~0.025 mm, for most work 0.02mm is close enough (what's 5 microns among friends :grin: )

so what the thou system has introduced is an easier language for fine measurements , can it be applied to the metric system ? instead of saying 0.002 mm can we just say 2 thou in metric ? or is that too taboo :D?

so what the thou system has introduced is an easier language for fine measurements , can it be applied to the metric system ? instead of saying 0.002 mm can we just say 2 thou in metric ? or is that too taboo :D?

In the metric language 0.002mm would normally be said as ''2 microns''. That measurement is really too small to accurately measure in most home shops. 0.002mm = 2 millionths of a meter, or about 80 millionths of an inch, 0.00008 inch. Small changes in temperature would affect the measurement. The scales on my mill and lathe have 1 micron resolution, but I have no belief that they actually will measure to that accuracy. Resolution and accuracy are two different things.

The term "thou" is a colloquial shorthand for a thousandth of an inch. On the other hand, "mil" is an official unit of measurement for a thousandth of an inch. It's most frequent use is for the measure of the thickness of plastic sheeting. Unfortunately, it is also used to designate a ml and, in some locations, a mm. It also is used to designate 0.1% as in a mil rate and can mean 1,000 as in a mil = $1,000 dollars. To add to the confusion, it is colloquially used to describe a million as in $1,000,000. (I prefer megabucks myself) The mil is also a unit of angular measure, short for milliradian, and equal to 1/6400 of a circle or .05625 degrees or approximately 1/1000 of a radian(57.29577951.... degrees). Primary usage is by military.

This might be regional, I don't know. Around here we talk of "mils". A mil is .001 inch. Maybe it is short for milli-inch.

Oops, I missed RJ's post. Never mind..........

Wire is often measured in mils. Another wire measure is circular mils. It is the square of the diameter in mils and is proportional to the current carrying ability of the wire and inversely proportional to the resistance, both of importance in electrical work.

Growing up with Imperial and having the country switch to metric while the bulk of everything was still Imperial swapping from one to the other is just practice. Plenty of conversion charts available for anything to anything just start collecting and save to memory the most often used conversions in your calculator or else buy a calculator with a conversion function.
If you normally work in metric and need to work off an Imperial drawing just copy and write all the conversions next to the original dimensions.
As I frequently swop from one to the other I find paper on a clipboard and a sharp pencil along with a calculator are invaluable.
Just be sure that you know 100% what system you are using and try and stick to just that system on any given project. Mix Apples with Apples and Oranges with Oranges.

In my trade we often see pipe listed as 25 nb 50nb 100 nb ect..usually get the young apprentice to tell the boss that he ordered in 33mm pipe instead of 25mm!. ahah ..nominal bore should be the internal measurement .

Back