Mechanical saw

Chinggis

Registered
Registered
I finally finish my long lasting project, Mechanical Saw No. 1 :). And it works, what is surprisingly :))). Well, there is some room for improvement, and I have a question. I use electric motor from car windshield sweeper. How powerful must be electric motor. Windshield sweeper work fine, but it make be hot after 10 minutes of work.pilargo1.jpgpilargo4.jpg

Chinggis: You may find the windshield motor not suitable for long periods of operation- they are not designed for high duty cycle
Have you a plan for applying pressure from blade to workpiece? Perhaps a sliding weight would be a good approach
Good job on the frame however!
You might consider an ac motor and reduction pulley design as a future improvement
-Mark

Nice looking saw! I'd agree with @markba633csi and say that a wiper motor might not be suitable. Is there any way you can add a cooling fan?

Obviously, I have no idea what kind of supply situation you're facing in Croatia ... finding a suitable AC motor here in the US is pretty easy. But an AC motor (at least 1/4 horsepower) with reduction pulleys would improve the performance of your saw. Unfortunately, you'll have to do some more fabrication work to mount the new motor, pulleys, shafts, and crank if you go to a different motor.

Power hacksaws usually use a 1" tall blade to prevent it from wandering. The good news is that they can be found in similar lengths to manual hacksaw blades, so you could use it without modification.

Wiper motors are used continuously in Indiana many days of the year. Getting maximum cut will require weight that might be more than the motor can handle. Nice job. I am sure it beats the alternative.

Thank you, all!
I try with windshield sweeper motor because I have them and I think it will be powerful enough for saw, but it is not and it will need more power. I can buy new or used one electric AC motor but it is expensive around 1000 Kuna(250-300$). I will try to find sweeper from truck, maybe it it have more power, if I am lucky to find it.

Wiper motors are used continuously in Indiana many days of the year. Getting maximum cut will require weight that might be more than the motor can handle. Nice job. I am sure it beats the alternative.
Agreed, from a different perspective. It is normal for a motor, any motor, to run warm. When you can lay a hand on it for 30 seconds, it isn't too warm. In all likelyhood, the load is just too much for the small motor such as what you have. A truck wiper motor may be the solution, it may take something larger. (higher HP) Decreasing the force required to move the saw may solve the dilemma. HP is torque times speed. . . Shortening the eccentric (stroke) may solve the problem.

I finally finish my long lasting project, Mechanical Saw No. 1 :). And it works, what is surprisingly :))). Well, there is some room for improvement, and I have a question. I use electric motor from car windshield sweeper. How powerful must be electric motor. Windshield sweeper work fine, but it make be hot after 10 minutes of work.View attachment 371722View attachment 371723
I Unequivocally applaud your ingenuity and imagination as well as your fab skill at taking an idea into a working machine. Nice going not giving money to horrible fright too! I love it.

I think both iterations were great. I wonder how well a leaky air cylinder would work. I think I saw one in a dumpster I frequent.

Good evening gentlemen s!
Today I finally be able to make video and post it. And I got from my friend electric motor with ideal power and gearbox with right ratio :). But, (why in all life there is this "but"?) gearbox is broken and I need to make some new gear and motor have a bend shaft. Is it possible to level out shaft. I see on my own eyes two attempts in company where I working, and both are, let me say politely unsuccessful. Right word will be with F..... .

Back