Medical Advice

T Bredehoft

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
You guys over 70, ATTENTION

If you ever find yourself speaking words that don't really sound like words. Do Not Hesitate

Get to a medical facility and tell them you think you just had a T I A.

This is a real brain fart.

A small portion of your brain was deprived of some (too much) oxygen and is telling you it's in trouble. Your emergency room will make room for you.

Go right away, don't hesitate, the longer you wait, (days and the evidence is gone) the less evidence there is.

This is the precursor to a stroke, no joke, the next one could kill you.

I just returned from the hospital with three new drugs and a new lease on life. I saw on a monitor, areas of my left carotid artery, with 1/3 of it obscured by a 'plug.' I had noticed that a few words I was speaking were mumbles, not words and remembered hearing about this. No other symptoms, I felt fine. I was carrying on a conversation and suddenly my end fell on the ground, so to speak.

Don't wait to wonder about it, go as soon as you can find someone to drive you to the nearest Emergency Room.

And if you observe someone who might be having a stroke, the newest and most tell tale symptom is to have them stick out their tongue. If it curves to one side or the other, the stroke is occurring on the side it's pointing to. Act quickly!
DanK

The medical community developed a simple test using the acronym F.A.S.T. to help people remember the most common warning signs of stroke and react accordingly. If you think someone is suffering a stroke, give them this test:

F = Face — Ask the person to smile. Does one side of the face droop? Is the smile uneven? That’s a sign of weakness or numbness in the face.

A = Arms — Ask the person to raise both arms. Does one arm drift downward? Can they lift one arm higher than the other? That signals weakness on one side of their body.

S = Speech — Ask the person to repeat a simple phrase. Did they slur? Did their speech sound strange? Could they even repeat the phrase? Trouble speaking is a tell-tale sign of stroke.

T = Time — If the person failed any part of the test, note the time and get help. Call 9-1-1 immediately. Let them know what time you gave this test so they can estimate the length of the stroke.

If you ever find yourself speaking words that don't really sound like words. Do Not Hesitate

A small portion of your brain was deprived of some (too much) oxygen and is telling you it's in trouble. Your emergency room will make room for you.

Go right away, don't hesitate, the longer you wait, (days and the evidence is gone) the less evidence there is.

I just returned from the hospital with three new drugs and a new lease on life. I saw on a monitor, areas of my left carotid artery, with 1/3 of it obscured by a 'plug.' I had noticed that a few words I was speaking were mumbles, not words and remembered hearing about this. No other symptoms, I felt fine. I was carrying on a conversation and suddenly my end fell on the ground, so to speak.

Don't wait to wonder about it, go as soon as you can find someone to drive you to the nearest Emergency Room.
This is no joke... for any age. Happened to me a couple years ago at 58, I went mostly blind and couldn't recall words for 20 minutes, they put me through every machine they had, couldn't find anything. They said most likely TIA.

glad you are ok...

So I had lymes, second time same as the first time. The first drs were on the ball... the second time these 2 numskulls insisted I was having a stroke, but I didn't show positive on all the tests. I told them it was lymes, they disagreed, and for one hour they discussed it back and forth, but could not fully come up with a diagnosis. They finally thought I was right, but they failed to treat the lymes. Some drs are good, a lot these days are not.. too many don't listen at all to symptoms, they immediately jump to conclusions. They never gave me the antibiotic so I had it for months, before I finally begged for them... I started getting better shortly thereafter. Dr's need to listen.

This is no joke... for any age. Happened to me a couple years ago at 58, I went mostly blind and couldn't recall words for 20 minutes, they put me through every machine they had, couldn't find anything. They said most likely TIA.

Same situation with me. Had a Stroke when I was 44. It will be 16 years come next month. First sign for me was a bit off balance. Then I lost my vision for a minute. Then I do not remember a thing. All in the span of a few minutes. I had a blockage at the base of my skull. It then went up and split. Had 4 blockages. I was SUPER fortunate to have fully recovered.

Mine was caused from a door on the CNC machine falling on my neck. That was 4 or 5 days prior to my stroke.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Same situation with me. Had a Stroke when I was 44. It will be 16 years come next month. First sign for me was a bit off balance. Then I lost my vision for a minute. Then I do not remember a thing. All in the span of a few minutes. I had a blockage at the base of my skull. It then went up and split. Had 4 blockages. I was SUPER fortunate to have fully recovered.

Mine was caused from a door on the CNC machine falling on my neck. That was 4 or 5 days prior to my stroke.

Cutting oil is my blood.
so basically a blood clot caused the blockage. lucky to survive without issue.

I had the carotid artery sonagram about 3 weeks ago. My PCP sent me for the test because I was requesting a Physical therapist for the Vertigo procedure. I've had issues with Vertigo for at least the last 6 years. I had a Heart attack almost 9 years ago and have stints. I passed the sonogram. With flying colors No blockage. Which is a huge relief for me since I have stints, I am a high stroke risk with Afib. Long story short A week ago Saturday I had a fantastic day outside working in and around the shop. Came in the house and about 30 minutes later (7:30 pm) I was on the computer looking for some parts I needed to order. Just sitting in the chair for no apparent reason Vertigo hit me. Lucky for me I had my cane next to my chair and I managed to make it to the living room and sit down on the sofa without falling down. I must use a BiPap machine to sleep so I hooked up to it and slept until 4:30 pm the next day with repeated trips of getting up and making it to and from the toilet. For 18 hrs. I did nothing but sleep sit on the toilet and have terrible dry heaves.

For the record It scared the $hit out of me.
This was the worst episode I have ever had yet. I did see the physical therapist last Tuesday for the initial exam and have an appointment November 30th to do the procedure. I sure hope it helps me. I will be 72 in April 2024 and have had some severe medical problems for the last 13 years. I have learned that I am not as tuff as I used to be. Like always I tried gritting my teeth and waiting out the Heart attack and waited too long to call the ambulance. Take the original posters advice and do not wait.

Something I've learned in my 413 years in this planet is that bad things aren't always bad things. Especially when it comes to health.
The situation mentioned here, with other replies are good examples.
A small "stroke-like" event leads to finding out there's an underlying potential for a massive stroke so that care can be taken to help extend the life. It happens a lot.
My own experience was that I had some pain in my abdomen and had been battling a pneumonia-like condition for months. I finally went to get checked and found I had congestive heart failure due to uncontrolled atrial fibrillation. It allowed me to get to the road to recovery.

It doesn't matter if it's a persistent pain, cough, headache, feeling, etc. It can all be a warning light that you need to have things checked to find the more serious reason why you are experiencing these symptoms.

As we get older, the need to do this is exacerbated and time is often of the essence. Nobody ages like Benjamin Button and we aren't teens anymore where a broken leg can be walked off.

Back