Resolved Membership

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken S

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I joined up last year about this time and I don't think there was an option to have auto-withdrawal at that time. I've searched the site and don't see how to find that information so can anyone tell me how I could find out if my membership is/has expired? This is an awesome group and I want to keep supporting it.
Thanks

I donated two years ago and my premium status never went away, wasn't sure what was happening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
From what I see, it is time to renew.

Edit user: Ken S
  • Active user upgrades
    None
I installed a plugin that is supposed to let you know, but we see how well it is working.

Got sidetracked for awhile and forgot this. FYI I did not get a notice my membership expired. Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0
Is there a reason for a punitive levy for voluntary donations that do not auto-renew to a supposedly non-profit?
I ask because that's what's separating you and my money ;

I don't know what this means. There is nothing punitive in supporting the forum by buying an enhanced membership of only $30, getting upgraded features, less ads, a tax break (charitable donations are one of the only federal exemptions that will be left soon), and supporting a forum that you enjoy so that we can be around.

When it was straight donations, only a few people donated. We did not have a self-sustaining revenue stream.
Some people donated a lot some a little. About .25% of the membership number donated. I had to constantly send out reminders asking for donations, and many members were put off by this.

Meanwhile, our costs to run the site rose because of storage of downloads and photos and other things we offered.
We also bought advertising to let people know about us, and the result is that there are more members to provide more information.
We were able to set up a reserve to keep us going, and to do some fun things.
The POTM will now pay $50 for each winner. We will be resuming that shortly.
I am considering other incentives for people who post exceptional work, projects and videos, subject to approval by the staff.
Our financial health is far better now than when we asked for donations. People need to feel that they got something for their donations.
Upgrading their membership does that.

As for your comment about a "supposed" non-profit, I am surprised that you would say that, since all our documentation is on the site for your inspection. This includes our 501(c)(3) letter from the IRS and current 990 filing.

EDIT: I am attaching a copy of our 501(c)(3) letter from IRS. I trust this addresses your comment about our "supposed" not for profit status.

Attachments

• 501c3 Letter.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I donated two years ago and my premium status never went away, wasn't sure what was happening.

When I installed the new system. which sets an expiration date automatically, I would have had to manually go through each member to see if their premium status had expired. I decided to just let them slide until they became aware that their time was up and re-upped. I trust you guys to do that for yourselves. If someone doesn't, I am not going to jump on them. The upgrades are donations, and people can decide whether they want to re-donate or not.

Upvote 0
I don't know what this means. There is nothing punitive in supporting the forum by buying an enhanced membership of only $30

Non-auto-renewing costs more? Given that it's people giving money why would you do that?
That's a retail, profit making organisation tactic, and it punishes those on a budget who can't afford to auto-renew everything

Upvote 0
Non-auto-renewing costs more? Given that it's people giving money why would you do that?
That's a retail, profit making organisation tactic, and it punishes those on a budget who can't afford to auto-renew everything

If you check the rules, we don't discuss forum policies in public. I have entertained the discussion to answer your question, but I am going to end things here.

If the policies don't appeal to you, don't contribute. That is your privilege. No one is forcing you to do so.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back