Messin' about with machines..

graham-xrf

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Freely lifted from the British idiom "messing about in boats", where the afficionados spend countless hours on something tied up in a Marina, painting this and that, polishing up something else, or getting involved with engine bits. You know the scene - fueled with a steady supply of afternoon teas with buttered scones + strawberry jam and G+T's or Martini's with like-minded friends. Struggling to make it back to the (expensive!) tie-up while being drenched in 4C Atlantic rain.. yeah!

It has been describe as a bit like "standing in a cold shower while tearing up twenties". Our hobby pastime at least shares the "tearing up $20's" aspect, and I am sure someone who has hauled half a ton of rusty iron destined for a painted and polished future, across almost any state after fall, would argue the bit about the shower. For me, getting to certain stages in doing the good stuff for even one small bit of the machine has an appeal - enough for me to take a photograph. Well.. it's so easy now with the cameras in a portable version what used to be a telephone.

It is not so special. Loads of us have done something like this, and reached for the rattle-can of grey primer. What? No!! Please tell me you did not skip the "primer" stage. "Direct to metal" it says on the can? Oh..OK then..

Such as it is - we have this. (Just recording a little progress)!

Tailstock Wheel1.jpg

Tailstock Wheel 2.jpg

I don't know I have the will power to do the "messin' about with machines" thing to the extent it deserves. I cannot even get my head around the number of grubby bits in the garage that belong to this kit, each one giving me a little guilt trip regarding it's painted and polished future. Each one anticipating a masking-tape scenario. The blue curl chips in the recycle box reminding me the hot smell they made before machine#0.7 began duty fixing up machine#0.05. It takes an effort of will to turn away from it for a while, and give some attention to that stuff on the house that still needs fixing up.

There has to something psycho(logical) wrong with me! Maybe kinda similar to as if I had taken up with the boats!

Last edited:
Yeah trucks are kind of like boats, only its tearing up Mackenzie Kings and Robert Bordens……..Lol
Cheers
Martin

Yeah trucks are kind of like boats, only its tearing up Mackenzie Kings and Robert Bordens……..Lol
Cheers
Martin
OK - I had to look them up. The illustrious Canadians!
Here, it was always the Queen (Elizabeth) since ever I remember. Isaac Newton only made it onto the back of the discontinued £1.
We have also had William Shakespeare, replaced by Michael Faraday. Then a spell of that music dude Edward Elgar and Scottish money man Adam Smith. Now it's artist J.W.M Turner.
None of these is evocative as being called "Mackenzies"! It just works way better than "We shelled out a couple of Shakespeares on the beef and booze".

We get the obvious "fiver" and "tenner".
£20 is a Score, £25 is a Pony, £100 is a Ton, £500 is a Monkey, and £1000 is a Grand
And if someone has (say) £7million, he is enviously referred to as "having landed 7 Large".

Then there are "Greenbacks". Did they ever have "Washingtons", or "Lincolns", or Madisons"?
Trucks? I think they come new with something like 5 zeros on the end of the tag.

P.S. BTW - still going with the paint thing!

Last edited:
OK - the primer - with careful help from a heat gun to "speed up" the process.
That colour looks OK. Maybe there is a gloss called "Primer Grey", or maybe we put on a coat of Rustoleum Clear over the grey?

Tailstock Wheel3.jpg

I really should not have sacrificed the pen top quite so soon :-(
Press-on some more. We have yet to try out the rattle can of "Rover Kingfisher Blue" from Halfords, still laying around along with the can of "Citroën Mediterranean Blue" from earlier messin' about.

Last edited:
We press on with the machine stuff. The ultra-cheapo eBay set of telescopic bore gauge items arrived.
eBay Telescopic Gauges.png

They seem to work just fine. I can't help thinking that if this stuff got made (wherever), and shipped to my door for under a tenner, it leaves us accepting that there is no point in bucking the globalized robot armies that "make stuff".
Will I discover they have "limitations", and are no darn good? We shall see!

My messin' with machine day has moved on. The paint experience had some surprises.
1. The colour of the paint in the can is not exactly the same as colour on the cap.
2. The colors of both paint and cap are rendered by one Samsung phone camera into yet newer colours in the photos.

Tailstock Wheel4a.jpg

The actual real colours are NOT as above, but we can tell the wayward representation on the cap.
I tried with and without flash. I tried "auto white balance". No good! the real color is paler and greener and much nicer. I settle for indoor lighting photos without flash.

Tailstock Wheel7a.jpg

Tailstock Wheel8a.jpg
We just have to imagine the real colour is a tad greener. Maybe the camera does some kind of "colour enhance" trick.
The casting is a little rough, so the bumps give the paint a texture. I did not use any filler to smooth it out. The non-painted parts got rubbed up with some abrasive paper. There are some ding cuts too deep to rub out. They will have to live on as "SB war wounds". The handle is ever so slightly bent off true axis. I am unsure of attempting to nudge it back. I don't want to break it. Maybe if I clamp it between aluminium strips in a vise, and get a bit of steel tube over it - or something - and carefully explore it's yield point.

The final effect looks about as retro as a Straight-8 Buick! It makes me want to watch one of those old movies featuring Raymond Chandler's detective!

GIven that "messin' about with machines" has to be temporarily suspended, I can't be sneaking off to the far end of the garage for a while.

Looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice job!

I really wanted to paint the centers black on the cast iron handwheels I put on my mill drill. But I didn't know how well the paint would stick to the chrome plating. Didn't feel like taking the time to rough up the chrome plated cast surfaces so I just slapped em on as is. But I still want to & this has gave me motivation again.

proxy.jpg

Nice job!
Thanks - it is the first time I ever put anything like this on a public forum, warts & all (so to speak)!
I really wanted to paint the centers black on the cast iron handwheels I put on my mill drill. But I didn't know how well the paint would stick to the chrome plating. Didn't feel like taking the time to rough up the chrome plated cast surfaces so I just slapped em on as is. But I still want to & this has gave me motivation again.
I have to agree the yen to put on an accent colour. The strong artistic effect is well known, and has been a main principle of HERALDRY. Look at any motor manufacturer logo. Look at any Coat of Arms, Look at any Hollywood Theatre Company Logo. Look at what surrounds the American Eagle!

Look anywhere.. University emblems. Right down to the strip of chromium between any two-tone colors on a car from a 20th Century American Motor Manufacturer. Check out Alfa Romeo, Mercedes, Chevrolet. Right down to a school prefect's badge, or a decent knife handle! (Who else watches "Forged in Fire")?
Arms of Lady Diana Spencer.png

Alfa-Romeo Logo.png

The rule is - you never put a metal on a metal, and you never put a colour on a colour. Separate the join by putting a colour between the metals, and vice-versa. The effect is to instantly enhance! There are some avant-guarde artistic revisionists who perhaps do not understand the psychology. I believe their contributions are doomed to look plain, and plebeian in comparison.

Look up a fashion aid called "Colour Wheel". Discover what are the "complimentary colours" to the main theme on your machine. There are sites which publish combinations which set a mood. Use photoshop, or the (free) GIMP to paste some colours on photos of your machine.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_wheel

Put the accent colour you like on the chrome metal space between the shiny bits. I could be wrong, but you can try it. If you don't rough up the chrome, and find a primer to adhere anyway, you can remove it with the right solvents should you get it wrong.

Last edited:
I live in the desert Southwest of America. That said, we are at 7000 ft. elevation, on the downwind edge of a serious geological formation that concentrates precipitation here. 20 inches of liquid precip/year, and 100 inches of it as snow.
All that to say, that I cannot overstate my delight to avoid all these RUST abatement related threads on this site. You guys have my condolences!
It is dry, and I have some dry skin issues. My paint/primer/rust issues are NIL:big grin:. Plenty fair enough trade, Thanks:cautious:

Back