Metal Band Saw Blades

redvan22

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hi,
I have a band saw that I use primarily for wood but I bought bi-metal bands for it to do some shop work and they don't fit.

Can someone explain to me why a wood band blade fits but a metal band doesn't!

I've been buying 92 1/2" blades from HD for ages but they don't carry metal cutting so I ordered the same size online on they don't fit.

Mike

How far off is the fit? Have you measured the new blade?

What part is it that doesn't fit, the length? When buying bandsaw blades you also have to buy the appropiate blade thickness & height for your machine.

I'm sure you know this much you can't just slap on a metal bandsaw blade on a wood bandsaw & expect it to cut well. Need to slow the wood bandsaw down (a lot) to get the correct SFM range for cutting metal.

My wife suggested measuring the blade thinking the site I ordered from messed up. I took a string and carefully went around the blade from the weld and back. Then, measured the string. It was 92 1/2"!

Being more of a carpenter than a machinist, it is a band saw designed to cut wood so I'm guessing I can't use it to cut metal.

My wife suggested measuring the blade thinking the site I ordered from messed up. I took a string and carefully went around the blade from the weld and back. Then, measured the string. It was 92 1/2"!

Being more of a carpenter than a machinist, it is a band saw designed to cut wood so I'm guessing I can't use it to cut metal.
I'm no expert on this, but you could probably use your band saw for metal by changing or replacing the pulley orientation. I have an older Powermatic band saw that I bought used several years ago and have only used it for metal. My recollection, however, is that it could also be used for wood by altering the positions of the pulleys.

It's a mystery to me why the blade doesn't 'fit'. Another test for accurate size may be to take one of your woodworking blades that you know fits the band saw and place it exactly on top of the new blade. If they're the same size, they should line up exactly.

Regards,
Terry

You can cut nonferrous metals, aluminum, brass etc. on a wood cutting bandsaw. To cut steel you'll have to slow it down, way down, a lot more than a simple pulley change will get you. You will need a pulley countershaft, gear reducer, electronic/motor speed reduction or a combination of the those to get down to steel speeds. To put it into perspective, typical wood cutting speed is around 3,000-4,000 Surface feet per minute (SFM) but only 300-50 SFM for steel.
Not sure about the blade fit problem, did you try loosing the wheel tension as much as possible; some times they get stuck and need a bump down with a soft mallet. Pictures will help.

Last edited:
What about an electrical speed controller for a wood cutting bandsaw? And a metal blade?

What about an electrical speed controller for a wood cutting bandsaw? And a metal blade?
It’s possible but not with a single phase ac motor. It can be done with a 3 phase motor and a VFD (though still might need some further reduction) or a DC motor and a PWM speed controller (like a treadmill motor). Unfortunately there is no super easy way to do it.

OK, I'm an idiot.
My band saw takes 93 1/2" bands not 92 1/2" that's why it doesn't fit.

Sorry to bother all of you but thanks anyway for the quick and helpful responses.

Mike.

PS: would anyone know where I can get a small tabletop metal cutting band saw. I don't need a floor model, just doing hobby work.

I would suggest a portable metal cutting bandsaw. They are relatively cheap and I have seen some stands that can be used to make them bench mountable == Jack

Back