• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

We've seen a lot of changes. In March, 4 moderators left to start their own site. They took some of you with them. So now you have split loyalties. You know who you are. They didn't like my way of managing this place, and thought they could do better without me. They didn't. The only thing holding them together is that they hate me. Their site was down until mid July. That is why I wanted to stay involved on here until they could learn to run this place. But they wanted me to leave right away, without the training part.

Anyway, I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I don't want to know about this place.

What about the 4 moderators who were disloyal? I don't care. It isn't my call anymore. I would think that, rather than fumble, they ought to come back and do good work. That's up to them. If they want to return to try to lead more members to their site, I am done caring. I suffered too much aggravation worrying about it. I don't plan to spend any more. What they do impacts on them. I have my own opinions including those of you who followed them there. No longer my problem.

I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

Metal cutting bandsaw.

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

elewayne

Swarf
Registered
Hi, this is my first post. I have a question. I own a 10" Delta band saw for wood working. I'd like to use it to cut metal. how could I slow down the blade speed. IT has about a 7" pully for the wheel and I can only clear about another inch before it would hit the table. Is there a way to install another shaft to help with speed reduction?

benmychree

John York
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
You would need to have an intermediate shaft with suitable pulleys to reduce the speed; the motor pulley would drive a large pulley on the intermediate shaft, and a small pulley also on the intermediate shaft would drive the pulley on the bandsaw shaft, or you could use a worm gearbox to reduce the speed, a separate motor could drive the worm gear and have step pulleys to vary the speed, or use a frequency drive. There would need to be some sort of clutch coupling to disengage the gearbox output from the bandsaw shaft to use the high speeds.

Mitch Alsup

Registered
Registered
You need at least a 10:1 reduction and maybe as much as a 20:1 speed reduction.
Wood gets cut at 1500-3000 fpm while mild steel gets cut at 150 fpm.

benmychree

John York
The chart on my 20" Rockwell says 150 FPM for thickness under 1/2", 100 FPM for thickness up to 1", and 80 FPM for anything over 1".

P. Waller

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Do you not understand the math or simply how to go about mechanically controlling the speed?

Hawkeye

Active User
I had a 15:1 gearbox that I added to a 1940s Beaver bandsaw I picked up this winter, along with a couple of triple pulleys. I've got 9 speeds from 28 sfpm to 504 sfpm. I love this saw.

kd4gij

Active User
Registered
Some pics of the band saw showing the drive system will help us to help you out.

Kernbigo

Active User
Registered
Here is my craftsman 3 wheel 10" that i use for wood and metal. I make my own blades from bulk do-all material . I'am running a treadmill motor on it works great no gear box etc. This is the second 1 i did ,the first was a 14" but took up to much room in my small basement shop.

Attachments

Kernbigo

Active User
Registered
why does everyone think you need a transmission when a simple treadmill motor works great. I have 1 on my band saw and 1 on my south bend lathe/

pineyfolks

Active User
Registered
why does everyone think you need a transmission when a simple treadmill motor works great. I have 1 on my band saw and 1 on my south bend lathe/
I use lawn tractor transmissions on several pieces of equipment when I first started my shop because my dad repaired them and we always had them setting around. Now days there are treadmills setting around everywhere. Years ago they weren't that common, we basically just walked on our own.

Eddyde

Staff member
Because that would be too easy ;)

rwm

Active User
I am curious about that. How is the torque when you are running at 1/20th of full rpm?
Robert

elewayne

Swarf
Registered
Do you not understand the math or simply how to go about mechanically controlling the speed?
I won't be strong on the math either, but I was just looking at the machinacals. Just to be sure I had some idea what to do.. I only want to cut sheet metal on the saw anyway. Not 2" thick bar.

P. Waller

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
I won't be strong on the math either, but I was just looking at the machinacals. Just to be sure I had some idea what to do.. I only want to cut sheet metal on the saw anyway. Not 2" thick bar.
Thin sheet material will be far more difficult then large bars.

rwm

Active User
For Sheet Metal you need really fine teeth. At least 18 TPI. How thin exactly?
Robert

Eddyde

Staff member
No worries, If you decide to do the conversion I and others will be here to help. It will be very helpful to post some photos of your machine.

Kernbigo

Active User
Registered
If you want to cut sheet you reverse the blade work like a champ

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Scruffy

Active User
Very interesting read. I,m in the very slow process of making a 19 teens hundred horizontal mill into something that is usable.
I,m not restoring this,I want it usable. It was a line shaft machine ,converted to electric very poorly.
Here’s my plan make a mirror image step pulley to give me 4 speed choices. Still way to fast ???? So I,m using a 5 speed motorcycle transmission .
Motor to trans to first set of step pulleys, yep I,m nuts with to much time.
Mill is a b&s
Thanks Ron in ohio

Hawkeye

Active User
Still turns in the same direction, but the teeth are pointing up instead of down. Less chance of grabbing on thin stock.

Susan_in_SF

Wood and Metal Goddess
I have a vintage Craftsman bandsaw that I plan to use to cut metal. I was planning on using a 1.5hp DC treadmill motor and my KB Electronics pwm chassis to have variable speed and torque at low speeds.

Eddyde

Staff member
Sounds like a good plan.

Hawkeye

Active User
Check your local on-line classified ads for treadmills. Some are offered for free, others $50 or less. Get one with a rotary or slider potentiometer to control speed. The ones where you have to repeatedly tap a button to change speeds will drive you crazy. You can get a good stock of various materials when you take a treadmill apart. I've used the belt for things like way covers and car floor mats.

[6]
[5] [7]