Metal Drawers

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Guys I been working on my lathe cabinet which is for 11" lathe.Between the two halfs of the cabinet is 19".My plan in that space is to install set of drawers(fix,not removable) for all the small tooling,mics,etc and tool holders.I been looking on line which I did find at HF their end cabinet that goes on rolling tool box would fit but its 14" wide.Their end cabinet last yr was 18" wide which would fit but can't find them anymore.So I started looking on line at Lowes,HD and their hand carry boxes with drawers is just to wide.So started looking on ebay just for some metal drawers that I could install drawer slides and just fit them in place but most of those drawers are "Vintage" but not out of the question yet still looking.I have made metal drawers before out of 16ga and its just alot of work making one much less making maybe 4-5 drawers.Anybody have any suggestions,ideals how to make my wild ideal work?I did also look at Office Depot which they have small metal file cabinets but only 11".As of right now HF has the 14" wide but I will have to cut the length down so that it would fit or extend the height of the lathe by putting a raise frame on it.?????290016

Just random thoughts...Depending on how much you need, there are opportunities for reducing the height of the side cabinet - there are the fingers that it hangs on plus the top has a perimeter band so tools don't roll off. There is space at the bottom that could get trimmed off a little. At 6'-4", I am taller than the average Asian, so raising the lathe worked well for me. You might also consider building a filler piece for storing stock in the 5" you have left, maybe 5-6" shelve spacing so you can still get your hand in and see what's there, instead of trying to find the perfect width.

You could build a frame to accept all the drawers but 1, thereby reducing the overall height. Or simply look for another cabinet that will fit without modification.

Can you extend the separation between the ends of your stand. 3" would allow two of the HF end cabinets, doubling the storage and giving a little extra counter space.

Good ideal guys and thanks,I went and took some measurement its just not doable.I would love couple those boxes which give lot of storage.If all else fails thats what I will be doing is just reducing the HF by one drawer.HF last yr did have a box that would have been better fit but they discontinue that model.So I am still on prowl for box or just some metal drawers that I could make a frame for:)
HF has some of their other TB's on sale but not the one in pic,Sears has one like this for 189 and HF is 199.

Last edited:
A possible alternative - the Ikea "Helmer" drawer unit:

It's 26" high (if you leave off the little wheels), 11" wide, and 16" deep. Here are a couple photos of a small parts organizer I built, to give you an idea of its size.

Back