Metal stock?

shobe9904

Registered
Registered
Where do you guys get your stock? I've seen the main sites (online metals, fastmetals, etc) wasn't sure if these are what y'all use or if you guys have specific places you like to get stuff? I live like 1.5 hrs from Pittsburgh, PA and I'm sure i could get some there but that drive is a pain. I've found alot of other smaller suppliers online too, but the issue is that I'm looking for 17-4 specifically and it seems like nowhere other than "big box" metal sites carry it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

E bay is good if you do some looking. I bought a chunk of 17-4 awhile back.
Joe

Most of mine comes from used equipment dealers. Pre pandemic it was $1.00 per pound for steel of any size or profile, and $2.00 a pound for aluminum. During the pandemic the prices rose to $2.00 a pound for steel and $3.00 for aluminum. The prices are starting to come back down a bit.

Where I used to live, I made friends with a local machine shop. I could piggyback a small order onto theirs (their metal was delivered, from ~1.5hrs away). Much cheaper than Onlinemetals, etc. eBay is a mixed bag, but often good for small pieces. McMaster is another source for specialty materials, but not often cheap.

GsT

We have a Metal Supermatkets franchise here. They require a phone call or email to quote. It's such a 1st world hassle but prices are often better. At least for sheet metal up to 1/4 inch and the most standard shapes. There's finally an online pricing option but the local store can often do better.

I've been racing McMaster against the usual suspects for a while and haven't found huge differences after including shipping. I end paying a little more for McMaster but then my orders are easy to track and I usually get 2-day shipping.

eBay is also good, but no cert. Sometimes I use picclick.com to search.

Usually off cuts from either Metal Supermarket or Alaska Steel.

Metal Supermarket is usually pretty good about marking their off cuts. Alaska steel is mostly plate and tubing for welding projects.

Back