Metric tap and die set

redvan22

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I need a metric tap and die set that includes 9mm.

I exhausted Amazon's offerings. One that had several 9mm sizes that cost me $90(first warning sign) were mislabeled. The 9mm 1.25 tap was actually a 10mm and the 8mm was actually the 9mm. Sent it back.

Why is it so hard to find a set with 9mm?

AND does anyone know of a set that I can get my hands on? (3mm - 10,12,14mm but must have 9mm)

Mike.

Hanson 26317 includes 9mm . I have a set that includes 2 9s .

Just to add to your fun, my Mac master set came with a M9-1.25 while my MAtco set came with M9-1.0.

The Erwin/Hanson 26313 set has 9mm:

"25-pc set in plastic case includes the following items: Metric Plug Tap and 1" Hexagon Dies in sizes: 3mm - 0.50, 4mm - 0.70, 5mm - 0.80, 6mm - 1.00, 7mm - 1.00, 8mm - 1.25, 9mm - 1.25, 10mm - 1.50, 12mm - 1.50, 12mm - 1.75 Pipe Thread Plug Tap and 1" Hexagon Dies in sizes: 1/8" - 28 BSP Threading Tools: Plain Die Stock - 1" Dies, Offset Adj. Tap Wrench - Taps No. 0 to 1/2"

They make a more comprehensive 26317 set as well, which I have, and is reasonable quality, and includes 9-1.25.

I have a set listed for sale down below somewhere , it's been on there for awhile . :grin:

Maybe I'm old-fashioned, (yes I was born before WWII) but I just buy what I need. If I need a 9 by 1.25 that's what I'll buy. When I need something else, I'll buy it. McMaster Carr will deliver it tomorrow, and I certainly can wait a day.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned, (yes I was born before WWII) but I just buy what I need. If I need a 9 by 1.25 that's what I'll buy. When I need something else, I'll buy it. McMaster Carr will deliver it tomorrow, and I certainly can wait a day.
I was born after WWII. There have been constantly two voices in my brain with one saying I don't have enough tools and the other saying I have too many unused ones. The other day the first one got much louder driving me to expand each size of tap in my collection to three variants : chipless , downward chip evacuation ( if that's the right term ) and upward chip evacuation. I guess I need to see a doctor or something ......

Last edited:
I have the 26317 Irwin set and it includes 9mm in both pitches. They are 'useable"......not great but will get the job done.

9mm is not in the "preferred" metric series. Most basic sets these days contain M3, M4, M5, M6, M8, M10, M12 and maybe a couple more larger or smaller, which are in the preferred pitches. I have an old Japanese made carbon steel set with a surprising number of the "non-preferred" sizes and pitches. Handy in emergencies.

The other day the first one got much louder driving me to expand each size of tap in my collection to three variants : chipless , downward chip evacuation ( if that's the right term ) and upward chip evacuation. I guess I need to see a doctor or something ......
chipless = forming tap
downward evacuation = spiral point or gun tap
upward evacuation = spiral flute tap
you forgot straight flute hand taps, but then we all would like to.

A doctor would have no clue what you are talking about and wonder why you were bothering him. That's why you come to us.

Man I wish I could do that. My whole life has been triage where if I don’t fix it right then and I have to order a part or a tool, it will be replaced with another brush fire and I won’t get back to it for months, sometimes never.

I was lucky to get two quality sets in the 80’s, BluePoint standard and Craftsman Kromedge metric. My Craftsman set 52097 has 9x1.25 included. I finally broke my 3/8 Bluepoint and had to replace it with a local hardware Irwin and it cuts nowhere near as nice. New stuff doesn’t seem to have the quality of vintage stuff. I believe the vintage Hanson/Irwin was good stuff.

Back