Mig vs Multi-Process machine

I have a Hobart 140, It's a great little machine, and punches well above it's weight for a 120V machine. I have larger mig and tig machines also, but I do really like the Hobart. Amazon has the the 210 MVP Hobart mig, for under $1000. Mike

I purchased a Miller Multimatic 215. It’s a great machine, but I would have been better off saving a few hundred by going dedicated MIG, and putting that toward an AC capable TIG later. A spool gun is expensive, and TIG is just a better process for aluminum. If you invest in a TIG machine, go with one that has AC capabilities.

Well that was dumb. Found the link for the Hobart refurb store for you and then started looking around. Ended up buying a little self contained plasma cutter... I've had my eye on one for a while, real light duty but it has the air compressor built in and the refurb price was almost 40% off.

This place... you try to help a guy spend his money and you end up spending your own. ;)

I purchased a Miller Multimatic 215. It’s a great machine, but I would have been better off saving a few hundred by going dedicated MIG, and putting that toward an AC capable TIG later. A spool gun is expensive, and TIG is just a better process for aluminum. If you invest in a TIG machine, go with one that has AC capabilities.

The 215 does have the digital interface which the 211 doesn't so you did get that. It is also another $1000 or so to step up to the 220 AC/DC with AC tig. Agree AC tig is nice so you can weld aluminum, but DC tig is still pretty handy. The tig in the 215 is essentially the Maxstar 161 ($1500) so you basically got a nice mig welder thrown in for a few hundred dollars.
Sticking with Miller, the cheapest dedicated AC/DC Tig is the Diversion 180 which is $2500.

Not cheap but Miller did a really good job with the 215 and 220, you do get a lot of machine for the money.

Last edited:
I know it’s not a HF but I love my Lincoln 175T and it having a transformer and small footprint has served me well. I’ve welded some pretty heavy stuff with it and it held up fine. There’s a same vintage as mine, a 155 close to you on CL for $350.

Well, thank you all. You've given me a lot to think about, I'm heading down that way and may take a look.

John

I know it’s not a HF but I love my Lincoln 175T and it having a transformer and small footprint has served me well. I’ve welded some pretty heavy stuff with it and it held up fine. There’s a same vintage as mine, a 155 close to you on CL for $350.
Could you link to the Craigslist ad?

Well, I went by there and decided to do nothing right now. Think my best course of action is getting in with the guy at work who's in charge of the rework shop and using the equipment there if possible. Will keep an eye out for a good used machine, HF will always be there if I need it but right now I'll work on getting the shop cleaned out and keep my money in my pocket....

Back