Re-Opened Might we tweak the site's search function?

middle.road

Granite Stoopid...
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Would it be possible to put this on the to-do list?
Any short words in the keywords and it errors out.
Tried search for "what is this" with and without quotes in the keyword line and it still returns the error. Thanks.

1516821533205.png

The search function has been my only disappointment on this forum. The site settings render it almost useless and tremendously devalue the forum from what it could be. You can't search a part number because the numbers are excluded as being to short or common. The same thing occurs with most machine part terms because it only views each word individually not as combinations and excludes them as being too common. Even when I search the "search function" I get exclusions.........LOL. Really? ......and on some key word searches that are accepted I have found it actually doesn't identify threads with the searched keywords and I turn them up later by randomly paging through the chronological posting order. I admin on another XenForo forum and have no such problems. On a forum of this size and complexity, there surely deserves a decent search function. . It's hard to believe this can't be remedied other than having to result to google search. It's really a shame because there is such a great repository of knowledge and information here and it can only be accessed by asking the same questions over and over.

Best,
Kelly
I agree, I'm not satisfied with the search here. What is the forum you admin? I'd like to test the search function there and notice the differences. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Have you tried searching using quotes? "o-ring" returned a result for me. Not the single quote but the double quote.

Wow, that worked......such a simple fix.

But, to my surprise, this morning I'm allowed to search simple phrases like VFD, DRO, 3-digit part numbers, and I get search results with no problem, so either an Admin changed a setting or me and the other posts to this thread were doing something wrong.....either way problem solved. Thank you.

Best,
Kelly

Upvote 0
Wow, that worked......such a simple fix.

But, to my surprise, this morning I'm allowed to search simple phrases like VFD, DRO, 3-digit part numbers, and I get search results with no problem, so either an Admin changed a setting or me and the other posts to this thread were doing something wrong.....either way problem solved. Thank you.

Best,
Kelly
Yeah, I "may" have made a few tweaks. Watching server performance closely given recent delays people have been experiencing. It is possible that the "3 character or less" search string is "a server hog" is a complete myth or it will bog us down. Let's watch and see.

Upvote 0
Back