Mikey!!!

Catshooter

Registered
Registered
I have read quite a few of your posts and noted with interest your use of gravers. Never gave one a thought until then. Well, I had a short 1/8th inch HSS lathe bit on hand so I mounted it in a file handle with JB Weld and tried it out.

You're the man! I needed to cut a 45 degree taper very close to the jaws and couldn't make the Sherline taper attachment work. The piece needed the live center also, so swinging the headstock was out too.

The graver to the rescue! It did the job quickly and easily, so much so I could hardly believe it.

Thanks for opening a new door in machining for me man, I'm grateful.

Cat

Wow, what a nice thing to read this evening! Glad you found that graver useful, Cat. I just used mine two days ago to put a dome on a knurled thumbscrew. I think they are the best kept secret in machining!

Gotta' tell you guys that I just bought a Sherline lathe and mill package on our local CL. The guy bought the Ultimate Machine Shop package sometime in 2006 - lathe, mill and a bunch of accessories. This currently goes for about $2500! Anyway, the guy bought it, used the mill maybe twice and put the whole thing away on his patio where it was exposed to the elements. Brand new machines that never saw a drop of oil on anything. I think this was his experiment to see how badly Hawaiian rain can rust precision surfaces. Not surprisingly, everything locked up with rust so he decided to sell it all for $600.00, which is about the time I came along.

I'm in the process of de-rusting everything with ERR and Evaporust. I've been able to save almost everything except the mill spindle, which is pitted so bad that it has to go, and the Y-axis leadscrew that is almost totally exposed. I'm replacing the Turkish spindle bearings in both headstocks with SKF ABEC 3's and will be using the column riser, headstock riser and the extended column to turn the mill into something actually useful. By the time I'm done it will be an $800.00 set of brand new Sherline machines, and that there is a gloat!

I'll try to get my friend to join HM so he can learn from all you guys, including you, Cat!

Edit: to clarify, I bought these machines for a good friend, not for me.

Last edited:
Eight hundred bucks for a lathe & mill? Yea, I'd've jumped on that.

I'm surprised you didn't have to replace more, like much more. Both speed controls still work? Both Z axis?

Nice gloat, of course you do suck you know. And of course it didn't happen without pics! :)

I'd love to have one of the short lathes permanently set up for threading. Had one years ago but of course cleverly sold it.

Cat

Yep, I'll post pics when I'm done. Both motors and speed controls work perfectly, just dealing with rust. Some folks should not be allowed anywhere close to machine tools!

Wow, what a nice thing to read this evening! Glad you found that graver useful, Cat. I just used mine two days ago to put a dome on a knurled thumbscrew. I think they are the best kept secret in machining!
It must be a very well kept secret. What is it? Somebody spill the beans please?

It must be a very well kept secret. What is it? Somebody spill the beans please?

We were just discussing gravers. You can see them here. Give them a try if you can sort out a tool rest. They are extremely useful and will make some things possible that would be difficult to do otherwise.

Back