[How-To] Mill a deep pocket into steel the easy way

Norppu

Registered
Registered
Milling a deep pocket in steel can be an ordeal in a manual machine especially if the steel is tough.
I present a method of making a deep pocket that does not require chip removal by high pressure flood coolant.

Shot1.jpg Shot2.jpg
Shot3.jpg Shot4.jpg

In this video I am using:
- Schaublin SV-51 (1955) Milling machine
- Solberga (1975) Drill press

Nice work. Yes, drilling is a much more efficient way to remove stock as opposed to milling.

Bruce
Bruce, you are right on.:encourage: Another thing is that end mills are a lot more expensive than drill bits. So, for the hobbyist, it's far cheaper to hog out with a cheaper (drill) bit and clean up with the more expensive (end mill) bit.

Bruce, you are right on.:encourage: Another thing is that end mills are a lot more expensive than drill bits. So, for the hobbyist, it's far cheaper to hog out with a cheaper (drill) bit and clean up with the more expensive (end mill) bit.
Yes, there are always the available resources (money) that dictate the way things are made in a hobby workshop.
In this case, however, it is the chip evacuation of the drill that matters. One could use a two flute endmill to first plunge down the separate holes and then clean the mess with the same endmill. That would also work just fine.
Unfortunately my milling machine does not have a quill so plunging down with it requires lifting the table. There is power feed for Z-axis but it is way easier to do this with twist drill in my drill press as it has (obviously) the quill and it also has the depth stop (and power feed with kick back) to make the holes equally deep. Much faster and easier.

Yes, there are always the available resources (money) that dictate the way things are made in a hobby workshop.
In this case, however, it is the chip evacuation of the drill that matters. One could use a two flute endmill to first plunge down the separate holes and then clean the mess with the same endmill. That would also work just fine.
Unfortunately my milling machine does not have a quill so plunging down with it requires lifting the table. There is power feed for Z-axis but it is way easier to do this with twist drill in my drill press as it has (obviously) the quill and it also has the depth stop (and power feed with kick back) to make the holes equally deep. Much faster and easier.
Good point, What ever works best for you, go for.it, Mark

Back