Mill Or Lathe

I think it mostly has to do with the way we think/problem solve. It's easy to wrap my mind around a lathe, it is almost second nature. A mill not so much, of coarse a drill press fits in here some how and most of us especially myself can make an easy step to a vertical mill. No so much a horizontal mill and yet a horizontal mill is almost a lathe.............the more versatile the machine the potential for longer set up times.

Off topic only slightly: "Do you know what a mechanic is? A mechanic is a tool junkie and being a mechanic is a way to justify and support the "junkies habit" The ultimate tool junkies wet dream...........A Machine shop. There is always a better tool."

Good question, I learned machining from my uncle who is a master tool and die maker, When I did my apprenticeship he only had a lathe, drill press, bandsaw and couple of bench grinders, yet he was able to produce any part he needed of very high quality. I asked him about a mill and he said, while it would be "nice to have" it wasn't absoultly necessary. Hence the first machine I bought was a lathe.
For many years when I had my custom wood shop, there was a guy next door who had a Bridgeport mill, since I had a lathe we let each other use the others machine freely, thats where I learned the mill, he did use the lathe but maintained if need be, he could do anything on the mill. Indeed he was quite proficient at it and made some impressive cylindrical type parts on it. So I guess it comes down to ones perspective and how they work.
It was almost 30 years before I bought my own mill. I think both machines are necessary for a fully capable shop, but if I could only have one machine it would be the lathe as thats what I know best.

If you haven't found it yet, get on youtube and find myfordboy's channel

Thanks for this hint! I know what to build out of the 1.5hp motor and abb vfd and gear box off my no good cold saw know!

A bad boy bubby power hacksaw.

Cheers

2 axis is far less daunting than 3 axis. The lathe is a less difficult machine to master feeds, speeds DOC and chip control than a mill so many cut their teeth on a lathe. Grinding tooling is also easier and in many instances, the steadies and tooling follow the lathe. With milling machines, rotary tables, dividing heads and the huge variety of chucks, clamps, collets, vices arbors etc... are expensive additions.

Also, I believe availability has a lot to do with it. There are far more reasonably priced lathes on the used market than mills.

Paul.

2 axis is far less daunting than 3 axis. The lathe is a less difficult machine to master feeds, speeds DOC and chip control than a mill so many cut their teeth on a lathe. Grinding tooling is also easier and in many instances, the steadies and tooling follow the lathe. With milling machines, rotary tables, dividing heads and the huge variety of chucks, clamps, collets, vices arbors etc... are expensive additions.

Also, I believe availability has a lot to do with it. There are far more reasonably priced lathes on the used market than mills.

Paul.

Less daunting ......but

I would take that statement to heart . That 2 axis lathe will kill you in an instant if inproperly trained . My co-worker and friend of 30 years got grabbed by a chip on his glove and was spit out the back end of of 20" lathe . Neither machines are toys , and I would highly suggest learning about them more thouroly before operating one . A mill with a push-in engage wheel is a killer also . I have a friend that is nut-less now trying to take a short cut .

Last edited:
Less daunting ......but

I would take that statement to heart . That 2 axis lathe will kill you in an instant if inproperly trained . My co-worker and friend of 30 years got grabbed by a chip on his glove and was spit out the back end of of 20" lathe . Neither machines are toys , and I would highly suggest learning about them more thouroly before operating one . A mill with a push-in engage wheel is a killer also . I have a friend that is nut-less now trying to take a short cut .

Ow man I can kinda imagine that acciden't but i'm not sure I want more info :-0

Stuart

to the OP: think about what type of work you need/want to do. Buy the machine that fits that work best and then learn to use it proficiently. Either lathe or mill will take a while for you to even get competent, let alone proficient.

Get the other machine to fill out your other projects/skills that you do when you get the money for it.

Personally, I went with a lathe as turning fits 90% of the things I need/want to build. A milling attachment on the lathe fills that out to 95%. So I can make do without a mill until I get enough time/money/space to get one.

Back