Mill Or Lathe

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hello,
I plan on getting both but probably one before the other. At tech school we learned some machining first on a mill then moved to the lathe. Would that be the way to go? Mill first then a lathe? I don't have any projects in mind, just want to learn and have some satisfaction that I created something that was done proper.
Thanks for the responses.

I have both that I bought used. My lathe is a 1983 (Enco) and my mill is a 1974 (Lagun). Don't know at all as much as I want to learn but I tend to work on the Lathe more. Since you plan on getting both, for me I would take the lathe first. Good luck on your venture, I know you will enjoy working on these machines, or at least I do. As others say on this forum, it is a disease but a good one to have. Tons of help from a lot of experienced folks on this forum have really helped me.

I also have both, but I got my lathe first since I found a good used one (G4003). I have a Wells Index 747 mill. You will find that you will soon "need" both, but I enjoy running the lathe the most. I now have a surface grinder that I have to get set up and running. It's a sickness!

I would say lathe first also. With some ingenuity you can do milling operations on a lathe. I have both also, but definitely use the lathe more often. I am by no means a machinist or tool maker, but for general repair on my tractor, lawn mower, other machines, etc, the lathe has bailed me out the most.

Another vote for the lathe first.

I also have both and am very new to machining but find I use the lathe a lot more than the mill. You could also pick up a milling attachment for your lathe that will allow you to do small milling work. They are fairly cheap and would provide you with some milling capabilities as well as some insight into milling. Just a thought.

Another vote for lathe first - but nice to see you are already in the mindset to get both. I got my lathe first but it didn't take long until I 'needed' a mill too.

Lathe first. For planeflyer21's reasons. Learn to grind HSS tools, etc.

Bruce

Lathe first, as stated, but purchase it and tooling for it with shared tooling in mind as appropriate. For instance, get a collet chuck that accepts the collets for the type of mill you have in mind. And know that you will very quickly find yourself frustrated that you don't have both. They work together well, but if you only have (either) one there are serious limitations. Ask me how I know...

Back