Mill tooling from scratch.

I bought a set of premium import (Japan) R8 collets from 1/16" to 7/8", by 32s, when I first got started, haven't used them yet. I do us 1/8", 3/16", 1/4", 5/16", 3/8", 7/16" and 1/2" collets on a regular basis (carbide end mills, shank size is cutter size) and 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" collets with HSS end mills, the collets are lyndex. If I didn't use the carbides, I'd only need the 3, for about 90-95% of what I do.

Don't forget way oil , spindle oil , cutting fluids . The list for tooling is endless , get some on eBay , assortment sizes of endmills , check the lots for sale , many things in the list at once are possible. Used collets , arbors , drill chucks .. New stuff Ck out industry recycle store on eBay , offers and free shipping helps. Always watch craigslist daily. Good luck happy hunting

I'm from the school of buying used to start. Grab some lots of used end mills and such. They go for pennies on the dollar, and after you toss the worst ones you're still nickels on the dollar. From this, get a feel for what *you* will be needing. What needs to be bought high quality new, what can be lower quality, and can remain used, and what is not needed at all.

I actually have some end mills, enough to start anyway. I got them in a box of Morse taper drills I bought for my lathe. I think I'll keep an eye out for a good used Kurt D688, or 675, a t-slot hold down kit, and a few collets to hold the end mills I have. They're 3/8 and 1/2 if I recall.

Having said all of that. Has anyone ever looked at the Shars 690V vice?

Britt Bettell

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

There are still good used Bridgeport vises around, even l&m . They may not be the rage but there well made have been producing forever.

Mikey listed a right angle plate which I believe is a good universal tool. Mr. Harold Hall in his book; Milling A Complete "Course" workshop Practice Series # 35 illustrates several tools for the beginning mill operator. The set of parallels I made following his guidelines are very useful and the experience priceless.
Have a good day
Ray

There are still good used Bridgeport vises around, even l&m . They may not be the rage but there well made have been producing forever.
I am completely happy with my old Bridgeport 6" vise, after getting it cleaned up and the small amount of wear mitigated I wish for nothing more.

Well, off to a good start I think. Picked up a Jacobs 14N chuck with an R8 arbor off of an auction site for a really good price, and a new te-co clamp set from Rex supply here in Houston.

Britt Bettell

Well, off to a good start I think. Picked up a Jacobs 14N chuck with an R8 arbor off of an auction site for a really good price, and a new te-co clamp set from Rex supply here in Houston.

Britt Bettell

That's a good chuck, same for the Te-co clamping set. I have both and like them.

Been a while since I've posted, but after hitting up an auction site again I've got the following.

Kurt D675 vice
About 20 R8 collets of varying sizes.
A couple of R8 shank fly cutters
An R8 shank face mill
An R8 shank ER40 collet holder with no collets (it came in the same lot with the fly cutters)

I'd still like to have a rotary table. What should I be looking for? Shars?

Britt

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Back