Mill Turning Tool?

w6br

Thud Driver
Registered
Hi Folks, I have a question. I have a RF-20 Bench Mill, and not having a Lathe, I would like to do some minor turning and cleaning up a shaft. Does anyone on here know of a device that can be used or made to do some turnings on a Mill??

I would appreciate all the help that I can get,

Ron, w6br

If your workpiece can be mounted in your mill spindle, you can use the mill as a vertical lathe. Mount your workpiece in a collet or chuck and mount your lathe tool in your mill vice. You will be limited in the length you can turn by the distance above your table that the lathe tool is mounted. Use the y axis as a tool height adjustment on a regular lathe and the x axis as your in/out feed to turn to a diameter or for facing. Use the spindle feed like the carriage feed on a regular lathe.

If your workpiece can be mounted in your mill spindle, you can use the mill as a vertical lathe. Mount your workpiece in a collet or chuck and mount your lathe tool in your mill vice. You will be limited in the length you can turn by the distance above your table that the lathe tool is mounted. Use the y axis as a tool height adjustment on a regular lathe and the x axis as your in/out feed to turn to a diameter or for facing. Use the spindle feed like the carriage feed on a regular lathe.
Wow RJ, that sounds like a Lot of fun!! :) But thank you, it is definitely worth a try!!

Ron

Lacking a lathe, I frequently use my Jet 15 mill like this for turning short parts.

Back