[4]

Mill vise for 7-1/2x23 table

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

BarnyardEngineering

Registered
For my next Shars order, what size mill vise would you recommend for a 7-1/2 x 23 table?

The mill barely has enough Y travel to run a 1/2" end mill across a 6"x6" piece of material, so my gut instinct is telling me a 5" vise will be plenty, though I may not even be able to use one that large.

wawoodman

himself, himself
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Probably a 4 inch will be plenty.

tweinke

Active User
I run a 4 inch on my PM-727m and am happy.

Groundhog

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
I have a Syil cnc with a 22" x 6.5" table. I use 3" vises (one measure about 3.25) and very seldom wish for a larger vise. I do use clamping plates, fixtures and jigs though.

TakeDeadAim

I have a GMT 5" on my PM932 so I would think a 4" might work well, but the 5" would be OK as well. I had Shars 440V on a Mill/Drill I had before getting the PM machine, it was a nice vise.

Silverbullet

Gold
Registered
Always told me go with the biggest vise that will fit your mill. I think a five inch would great for your mill. I have a six inch on my HF mill drill . And a 4 or 5" all angle vice on my enco . I'm really a tool addict so I've a few extra vises and will buy more if I like them. Iv got my eye on I think a ten inch shaper vise going to call him about it . $50. Isn't to bad. Have to see if I can beg him to deliver , it if I buy the other one for $25.00. God I love big vises. It must weigh over two hundred pounds.

DAT510

Your table is slightly larger than mine, which is 6" x 21" I have a 4" vice on mine. The issue I've run into with a larger vice, ( I tried a friends 6" vice), was locating it so the fixed jaw was in a location that I could still mill, drill and tap thin pieces and not be at the extreme ends of the Y axis travel. Right now I have the vice hold-down bolts in the center T slot of my table (there are 3 T slots), as most of the parts I work on are typically 2" or less in the Y axis. . That way, the fixed jaw is closer to the center of the table and therefore the parts I machine.

The 6" vice did fit, but when located in center T slot, though I could hold larger parts, I wasn't able to mill along the full Y axis. When placed in the rear most T slot, I could utilize the full Y milling area, but I found most of my machining at the extreme ends of the Y axis ways where I find my mill to be less rigid.

I think your gut at 5" would be perfect for your 7 1/2 table.

[6]
[5] [7]