[How-To] Mill Vise Roll Bender Jig

Eddyde

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I need a roll bender for an up coming project. The plan was to borrow the one I thought my friend and former business partner had, but sadly, he no longer has it. Last thing I need is another project, I didn't want to spend huge amount of time fabricating one. So I set out to cobble something together...

A little digging through one of the the scrap bins revealed the large knurled "drive"roller, it is 3" in diameter and bored through about 1.5" it also has a 2" diameter .375" high shoulder on the bottom. I made a bushing to fit inside the bore, tapped in the center for a ½" bolt and welded it in place I then thought to weld a sacrificial socket (I have many duplicates) to the top of the roller but I lucked out and found that a 1⅛" socket had a perfect friction fit, so I simply pressed it in place.

Next another scrap bin delivered 2 six inch-ish long, pieces of 3"x4" angle. I cut the short leg on one of them down about .375" and drilled both of the short legs to align with the bolt holes in the mill vise, that way one would ride over the other. I then drilled a hole in the long top leg of the angle with the shorter leg, to mount the drive roller, a brass bushing and a cap screw fastened in place and allows it to turn freely.

Finally I notched the top of the other angle to clear the shoulder of the drive roller and drilled and tapped the holes for the 2 back rollers. I made the rollers out of 1.5" diameter aluminum bar stock and fasten them with some scraps of threaded rod.

Once bolted on to the vise I completed the drivetrain with a couple of flex type socket extensions, this allows for some misalignment, sort of a makeshift universal joint. While the X axis of the drive roller is centered perfectly, the Y axis changes as I progressively move it towards the back rollers. I still need to move the Y axis of the mill to get it more or less centered to the mills spindle, but it isn't critical.

The results from my first attempt were better than I expected.

IMG_9779.jpegIMG_9780.jpegIMG_9782.jpegIMG_9786.jpegIMG_9790.jpeg
I then TIG welded the ends together and placed it back in the jig.
IMG_9795.jpegIMG_9801.jpegIMG_9803.jpegIMG_9813.jpegIMG_9816.jpeg

Great idea and execution! Thank you for sharing. Im really imoressed when oeople like you “see” a machine in a machine. Cool.

Good job, I like that a LOT. I saw on a welding forum where a guy made a similar one with a cheap HF DP vise. I made one for forming 1/8” up to 1/4” rod, but hand powered. Yours is the big brother and using the mill to power is perfect. Great job.

Attachments

• 56AF530B-C90C-4924-9AE3-619D42EFECC7.jpeg
    56AF530B-C90C-4924-9AE3-619D42EFECC7.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 33
  • 8B486B9E-3110-4395-9021-29E2DD48526D.jpeg
    8B486B9E-3110-4395-9021-29E2DD48526D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
  • 0F283A70-6D0D-4693-B00D-A6ECA34410EF.jpeg
    0F283A70-6D0D-4693-B00D-A6ECA34410EF.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 31
Nicely done. Whats up with your mill spindle? Mike

Nicely done. Whats up with your mill spindle? Mike
I assume you are referring to the crooked ring near the top? Its a LED light ring but it isn't working anymore, I think fine chips got into it and shorted it out, been meaning to replace it when I have the time...

What can I add to what's already been said??? Thanks for a fantastic idea!

Ya, was doing that in the mid 90's rolling tubing. worked good I used my cnc mill last summer as power hammer to shape some sheet metal. lol

Back