Mill will not stay at Z axis when milling

Ok, I had some success. I forgot the Z axis quils in the back.

So, there's 2 quils in the back for the Z axis and 1 more quil for locking the downfeed on the left side

After I locked all 3, as well as the fine downfeed lock, I managed to stay on the exact number on the DRO.

Also, I have to overtravel the fine downfeed knob, then back down to my desired number, THEN lock down the downfeed quil. Otherwise, if I set my fine downfeed knob to my desired setting, and lock down the downfeed quil, it moves a bit. Overtraveling and backing down takes care of this issue.

*phew*

there's a LOT to learn and I'm having a TON of fun doing so. Only issue is it's getting expensive..

I just bought a Noga dial positioner, another digital caliper and an MT2 live center.

Last edited:
Im being curious here and nothing more, when you talk about the lock for the fine down feed is that the knob in the center of the course feed?

Im being curious here and nothing more, when you talk about the lock for the fine down feed is that the knob in the center of the course feed?

Yeah, I wasn't sure if there was a proper term for it.

Something to read which I hope helps.

Attachments

• 02 - Vertical Milling in the Home Workshop.pdf
    17.4 MB · Views: 11
Just a friendly teminology reminder.
The quill is the part that goes up and down with the hand wheel, holding the cutting tools. The lock for it is on the left, just below the speed button (careful, when you lock the quill, sometimes you reset the speed.)

The two gib clamps, behind the contorl box clamp the gib on the head so it's solid. These must be clamped when cutting.

Back